+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the tiemco 100 dry fly hook longer than most

Hybrid View

Default Is the tiemco 100 dry fly hook longer than most

It says a finer wire but it also seems longer.

Then most? I think TMC makes most of the private label brands, but I could be wrong on that.

It is longer than the old Mustad 94840. I understand the new Mustad Signature model is actually shorter than the 94840.

These three hooks are all supposed to be size 18 in shank length. The two on the end are Tiemcos and the middle one is Mustad. There is no standard.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

18 in shank length or 18 in gap/gape?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    18 in shank length or 18 in gap/gape?
    Shank length.

I sent the photo to Gary and he posted it on his blog. The photo shows that on small flies, the eye of the hook contributes to the body length of the fly. That is one reason that on hatches of small flies, the fish seem to prefer flies that are tied on smaller hooks. The hook eye makes the fly body seem longer by one hook size.

He wrote the they are size 16 but they vary in gape. The hook on the left is a Tiemco 921 size 16 but this model is 2XS with an 18 shank length. The middle hook is a size 18 Mustad 940842 which used to be the most popular small dry fly hook. It is size 18 in length. The final hook is a size 16 2XS TMC 2487 scud hook and should be size 18 in shank length. So all the hooks are supposed to have a size 18 shank.

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/10/08...created-equal/

You can see that the shanks of the two 2 XS size 16 Tiemcos should have identical lengths but do not. They are not even close to the same "size". This shows the fallacy of asking a fellow fly fisher what size fly he/she is using without also knowing the brand and model of hook, especially for small flies.

I also took the photo to show how wide the gape is on the TMC 921. The gape is wider than the scud hook. It is my favorite hook for small dries because the wide gap increases positive hook ups on tiny flies. I use a size 14 for size 16 dry flies to a size 18 for size 20 dry flies.

http://www.tiemco.co.jp/english/prod...flyhooks_e.pdf
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 01-01-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Cliff,

I'm on the side of it doesn't really matter.

You tie the fly to fit the hook. Kind of hard to do it any other way....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Shank length.

I sent the photo to Gary and he posted it on his blog. The photo shows that on small flies, the eye of the hook contributes to the body length of the fly. That is one reason that on hatches of small flies, the fish seem to prefer flies that are tied on smaller hooks. The hook eye makes the fly body seem longer by one hook size.

He wrote the they are size 16 but they vary in gape. The hook on the left is a Tiemco 921 size 16 but this model is 2XS with an 18 shank length. The middle hook is a size 18 Mustad 940842 which used to be the most popular small dry fly hook. It is size 18 in length. The final hook is a size 16 2XS TMC 2487 scud hook and should be size 18 in shank length. So all the hooks are supposed to have a size 18 shank.

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/10/08...created-equal/

You can see that the shanks of the two 2 XS size 16 Tiemcos should have identical lengths but do not. They are not even close to the same "size". This shows the fallacy of asking a fellow fly fisher what size fly he/she is using without also knowing the brand and model of hook, especially for small flies.

I also took the photo to show how wide the gape is on the TMC 921. The gape is wider than the scud hook. It is my favorite hook for small dries because the wide gap increases positive hook ups on tiny flies. I use a size 14 for size 16 dry flies to a size 18 for size 20 dry flies.

http://www.tiemco.co.jp/english/prod...flyhooks_e.pdf

I agree that hooks vary in shank length - even if the design is for a dry fly. I started a thread about that some time ago. However, the size number refers to the gape of the hook. It was anticipated that the gapes would also have somewhat standard shank lengths. Unfortunately, or fortunately, they don't. This is especially true, of course, when you compare styles of hooks, I.e, dry fly to emerger, etc

Other than Mustad the other hooks like Dai-Riki and several others I looked at appear to be shorter than the Tiemco so i thought it might be 1x long but it was not listed on the box. Even the picture in John’s photo show the Mustad to have a smaller gape. A lot of new hooks on the market but you have to be sure you like the sizes and weight.

I believe TMC list "wide gape" as one of their features, but since there really is no standard for gape, shank or wire diameter, how can one know.....and (at the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest,) does it really matter?

Cliff

+ Reply to Thread