+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor weight for pontoon lake fishing

Default Anchor weight for pontoon lake fishing

Suggested weight for anchoring an 8' pontoon in a pond/lake for bass, bluegill fishing? Will use fins but just in case the wind picks up and I need to anchor to hold my location for a time.
    Thank you much!

I use barbell weights (10 lbs) & nylon rope. round edges (won't scrape) flat (won't get stuck on the bottom). I have heard of many folks using heavy chain, though.
    Later,
    Peter

Why not a float tube anchor?

They're small, come with a cord and a bag to hold them and are easy to deploy.

Dear TLG,

Like Later, Peter said, an old barbell plate works well. So does an old cast dumbell.

If you only need one on occasion you can make a workable anchor out of a heavy plastic jug, like a laundry detergerent jug, filled with wet sand or gravel.

You can also buy a navy fluke style anchor or a mushroom anchor of about 8 pounds pretty cheaply. Don't get the kind that has the flat sharp flukes for diggin in mud, but the kind like Popeye had tattooed on his foreman if you go for a fluke anchor.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

The pointy end type is called a "Danforth" the Popeye type is called a "Navy Anchor"
    I agree with the mushroom, they are normally supplied for inflatable dingy's. Also most mushroom anchors can be bought plastic/rubber coated. Google- West Marine they have huge supply of anchors and you can order on line,

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 11 July 2006).]

I put a U-bolt with a swivel pulley on my cargo deck bar and put an anchor lock ($13 Cabelas) with two U-bolts to secure the lock to one of the cross-bars under the seat. 3/8 to 1/2 inch 20 or 30 foot braided nylon rope to a 12lb. mushroom anchor. Works great on my ODC 816. An 8lb. anchor might work okay but I like the 12lb. a little better when the wind picks up .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I have been advised on numerous occasions that a Ruger P95 9mm works very well as a small boat anchor.........

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing and standing in a river waving a stick, and YOU SIR have crossed that line!
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Blog Entries

"I have been advised on numerous occasions that a Ruger P95 9mm works very well as a small boat anchor........."

ROFLMBO

I use a large NUT, I bought at a surplus store, it weighs about 8 pounds and it holds my canoe in place.

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Window sash weight. Cost, about $1.00.

jed

I get the iron barbells at WalMart. I think the 10# one is $5.97 or something like that.

-ParaHopper

+ Reply to Thread