Hi All,

On the Fly Tying Forum Hans posted a link to his video tying of the Kate McLaren. It is nicely done, and there was also information and a link on fishing it for trout, sea trout, and salmon.

This got me to thinking about the fishing that I primarily get to do, which is warm water fishing in the Texas panhandle.

Have any of you done much fishing with the Kate McLaren, or similar flies on warmwater lakes such as we have here that primarily contain white bass, crappie, and walleye, but also contain some bass and bluegills? (I am ignoring the catfish.)

I primarily fish small streamers of various kinds for the first three species, and do use nymphs and small steamers for the bluegills, but every now and then use poppers or dry flies.

If you have done OK with them, how would you fish flies like the Kate McLaren for crappies, white bass, and walleyes?

I do know that there are hatches like the hexs in our lakes, as I have seen them, and tried to fish hex nymphs and dries. (Even caught a small channel cat on a hex dry.)

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf