+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided Lead core line

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Question Braided Lead core line

One of the gifts I received this Chrismas was 100 yards of Braided Lead Core line and I have no idea what it is used for.

Could any shed some light on what type of fishing I would use this for? Should I return it and exchange for sinking tip line?

Thanks for any insight.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Back in the days of my childhood we used to use it for trolling very deep for lake trout. I have also seen people use it as a shooting head when steelhead fishing in fast water with a fly rod. I personally do not find either form of fishing much fun but some do. Of course it is hard to know if the iron headers find it fun or are just nuts.

David

I've made shooting heads out of them, for dredging in deep saltwater or where there is a stiff current or tide. It isn't pretty but gets the job done and will bring in fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    I've made shooting heads out of them, for dredging in deep saltwater or where there is a stiff current or tide. It isn't pretty but gets the job done and will bring in fish.
    X2. I whip loops on either end and wear a batting helmet; great for shad fishing on the Potomac (although a Teeny 250 is nicer).

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

It is old school before the more modern fly lines were developed, but it is great for trolling flies really deep in certain lakes, the ones where even our modern fly lines will not reach easily. Also a short length for streamer fishing in a fast and deep river.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I was given a large reel full of this, with color changes to signal the amount of line out, by a guy who had used it to troll for lake trout in the NY Finger Lakes in the 1940's. A friend of mine auctioned it off on e-Bay and I understand it went for an amount that surprised him. I have no clue if the buyer planned to use it or just collected antique fishing gear.

Some of us saltwater FF'ers use it to make a sink tip for our floating lines. Simply whip loops in both ends of a 12-18" piece and loop it to the butt section of your leader and looop your tippet to the other end. With a controlled drift the fly will fish quite deep and you won't loose split shot. Ron

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I was given a large reel full of this, with color changes to signal the amount of line out, by a guy who had used it to troll for lake trout in the NY Finger Lakes in the 1940's. A friend of mine auctioned it off on e-Bay and I understand it went for an amount that surprised him. I have no clue if the buyer planned to use it or just collected antique fishing gear.
    This is what I was given, 10 colors at 10 yard lengths. Starts with red, then blue, then tan, so on to white.

Well, looks like I have 100 yards of heavy leader for the swifter rivers and streams around here. Thanks for the information what to use this for.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I still make heads out of it. also i use it for a 2 hook setup. helps get the bigger double musky flies down.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

If you troll that is what I've always used it for, set it up on a trolling reel or a big arbor fly reel and you'll catch some serious fish with it, a dodger streamer combo on lead core can be quite effective and just for trolling conventional lures it is great as well.

+ Reply to Thread