+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boxing day at Meola reef

Default Boxing day at Meola reef

Hi Guys, hope your boxing day was as good as mine!Met Wolfie at the end of Garnet road, we crossed the creek and made our way out to Meola reef, when we got to the first large hole the water was still dropping forming a nice current line. We both fished this current and there were lots of snapper, small but very aggressive and keen to hit the fly.
    Here is a typical one.

And here is wolfie hooked up, you can see it is a lovely Auckland summer day!

As the tide slowed so did the fishing and so we moved out a bit, the wind in the new spot was terrible and no fish were caught, so we decided to move back to the first spot.
    Here is wolfie with the wind at his back!

Back at the first spot it was all on again for about 15 minutes then everything went quite, despite a couple of moves and lots of casting. So we called it a day. I did not count but we caught plenty of good scrappy small snapper, wolfie got a few small kahawai and we did manage one keeper, so despite the weather a great day.
    All the best.
    Mike

Nice report. The skies in NZ look as grey as here in NS, but it's a bit colder here! We'll be flying out on the first, back to summer, so call in the sun.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Looks just like Montana did yesterday, except for .......

All the best to you in the coming year, Mike.

John
    And the same to you John, I hope those Lochsa fishies keep on keeping on for you!
    Jeff, by the time you arive the average size of the Snapper should have increased a bit, if you fancy a fish out there give me a shout.
    All the best.
    Mike

Nice report Mike. As Debbie and I traveled over the bridge in the background I thought the bay would be a great place to fish. You've proved that on a number of posts. Thanks and a happy new year to you and yours. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread