+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What IS this?!?

Hybrid View

Question What IS this?!?

I spotted this critter sitting on the track of a toy bulldozer at a family picnic over the summer here in Western NY (about 60 mi. sw of Buffalo). I've never seen anything like this !

Can anyone tell me what the heck it is?

Merry Christmas to you all,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

I believe it is a member of the Ichneumon Wasp family. The "stinger" on the business end of the wasp is actually an ovipositor used to lay her eggs. Some of the species burrow into sand or soft soil and go sting catipillars to drag into the burrow where they lay their eggs on the still living but paralyzed catipillar which will act as food for the larva. Others of the species have very long ovipositors and they slide it into tiny cracks in wood to lay their eggs.

While they look evil and wicked, they are actually very good to have around as insect control for distructive insects.

Jim Smith

Looks like a Cicada Killer (member of the wasp family).

Regards,
    Scott

OMG! Seems an F16!

i'm glad you posted this,i had found one of these earlier in the year and added it to my specimen collection until i found someone who could identify it.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Looks like a Cicada Killer (member of the wasp family).

Regards,
    Scott
    That's what we call them here also, Scott. They begin digging their tunnels just before the cicadas begin to come up. I have watched many of those things carry those cicadas into those holes in the ground. And like JamesSmith said, they are relatively harmless but beneficial.

George

Paul, I'm glad you specified that is a toy bulldozer. That would be one huge wasp. Merry Christmas. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

NewTyer 1 Guest

I too thought it Looked like a Cicada Killer but here in VA. they would have actual hair on thier back. Awesome what ever it is and would imagine good for the enviroment. Now if I could get one to carry away my neighbor toy, whatever kind of dog it may be.

I don't know what it is, but I do know that you were much too close to it to get that picture.
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread