Hap you are right. We have Thalamus Thalamus, it seemed ridiculous to say I'm to far north for them when I know the range of T. Arcticus is much further north. I have yet to find any grayling fishing less than 150 mile south of me. That was what I was attempting to express.

I've also had some of my best days grayling fishing. On my way to a course with work once I stopped at a little river in S.Wales for a few hours. Walking a mile or so up river I only found two small brown trout, about 4 inches, caught one and moved on. Then I came to a wide shallow area of popply water. I spotted rises so put a Klinkhamer over one. A 14 inch grayling took it. I noticed the rises continued up through the riffle above. Several more grayling of 14 to 16 inches followed. At the pool above the riffle I saw even more rising fish. One of them the biggest grayling I have ever seen. It's dorsal fin was getting on 6 inches long. I couldn't get a fly to it! Every time I put a cast across one of the "little" 16 inch grayling would jump on it.

For the last 8 years I have been trying to engineer a return trip to that stream. One day I will get back.

Cheers,
A.