+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dyed small saddle hackles

Hybrid View

Question dyed small saddle hackles

Where can I find smaller sized saddle hackles that are dyed solid colors over white? I want them for collars on size 4 to 10 warm water flies. The only packages I can find are large for salt water flies. I don't want to buy a full neck but I'm afraoid that is the only way I will find the moderate sizes. Any suggestions?

If you are willing to dye the feathers yourself you might want to try inexpensive Indian necks in cream or white. Same for Chinese necks. Of course you might find a good buy if you are near a farm and the farmer is willing to sell you a white hen or rooster. Otherwise, I'm not sure what company sells the specific product you're looking for.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Where can I find smaller sized saddle hackles that are dyed solid colors over white? I want them for collars on size 4 to 10 warm water flies. The only packages I can find are large for salt water flies. I don't want to buy a full neck but I'm afraoid that is the only way I will find the moderate sizes. Any suggestions?
    So which do you need? Saddle or cape? You mention both. Standard strung saddle hackle will handle the larger flies, and can be found almost everywhere in a variety of colors, (e.g. http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/...hackle-med.htm). You may even be able to find some in a pack down to 10, depending on hook type, but that will be less common. For smaller feathers, a cheap saddle is the best way to go. They are harder to find thanks to the hair craze, but a bit of digging should turn one up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Many years ago I ordered dyed, strung, saddle hackles by the pound. If you have ever tied a pound of feathers on flies you understand how many flies that represents... Anyway, I usually ordered large but several times was disappointed in the size. I probably have some different colors in smaller strung saddles... I am pretty sure I have lots of yellow, for example... What colors are you looking for?

AlanB Guest

Most of the salmon flies I tie on hooks are in that size range. Mostly I use dyed Chinese cock capes for those. They are available in lots of colours, for not very much money. You should be able to pick them up for no more than $10 a time. While they are not a patch on genetic dry fly hackle, they are ideal for wet flies. If I remember correctly, Wapsi do a range. If you want something a little softer you could look at dyed schlappen. (The feathers behind the saddle from a cockerel). Lots of the classic salmon fly guys use these.
    Cheers,
    A.

look for hen saddle dyed, they are smaller and better suited for what you are doing.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Ray,

Here is a link to a supplier that was recommended on another post some time back and I have purchased from them once and it was a very pleasant exchange with no problems. I do intend to place another order soon. They have strung neck hackle in a very large color range. They also have chenille in more colors than I knew were available plus they have Danville tying thread in 140 and in many colors. I thought their prices were more then fair. They also have the sickle hooks and lead heads.

http://stores.crazyanglertackle.com/StoreFront.bok
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Some of the best hackle i have seen that fit what your wanting I think, is Whiting has what they call Bugger Packs and come with a lot of hackle in many colors including some died over white. I get them often and have a lot of them coming now. I don't know who sells them though as I buy them from Whiting. I can look and see who may have them if you want. You can PM me if you wish.

Skip

+ Reply to Thread