+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flex coat OEM rod builder

Default Flex coat OEM rod builder

The present so nice I had to post it twice. My awesome wife gave me an early Christmas present. I am the proud owner of a flex coat OEM rod builder. I'm about to order my first blank( from my research a rain shadow 3 wt should give me the best bang for my buck) but would love some feedback from those who know what I am in for. Would love to do something in Saints black and gold for my dad. Not sure what color blanks come in but for my first I figure price needs to be considered.

I'm a newby myself. Take a look at the MHX kits at Mud Hole www.mudhole.com and the Batson kits at www.jstockard.com. I'm working on a 10' 4wt MHX in a matte black finish. Very nice rod. The kits take a lot of the guess work and "which of what" decisions out of the first rod (or five)...

Apparently I've got some more supplies under the tree from my boys. My wife is calling it a component kit but doesn't think there was a blank included. I've got the go ahead to get what I need and your kit idea makes a lot of sense.

What you are in for???

These are sitting next to my computer. They were on clearance, and I decided my best friends kids needed rods. It's an addiction. You've been warned.

Rainshadows (Batsons) are great rods. I use a 2, 4, and, 6. Global dorber (a sponsor of this board) offers some decently priced kits... http://dorber.com/flyrodkits.html .

There are some other things you will need, have to have, or get because you can. You should get a wrapping bench of some sort (hand powered to start). You will also need thread and finish products. You will want a rod turner / dryer for the epoxy work. I suggest an alcohol torch. Epoxy is not our friend. Rodbuilding is addictive. I built four Batson Forecast 6' 6" 2wt this year; one for myself, my daughter, granddaughter, and boss. It casts great and is a blast with bluegill and small bass. Fortunately, I've just scratched the surface. Ask some of the others on the board for information and help. There are some talented builders here.

+ Reply to Thread