Thread: video - Hatching Olive Variant

Hybrid View

Default video - Hatching Olive Variant

Hatching Olive Variant
    Hook: Grip 14723BL #14
    Thread: Benecchi 12/0, black
    Abdomen: Peacock quill, stripped - coated with clear varnish
    Wing: Duck quill
    Thorax/veiling: Argentinean hair, dyed olive; arctic fox underfur, dyed orange - equal parts, in split thread
    Hackle: Hen, dark grey

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GdItHjr2Tw

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hans,

Very nice. One thing I noticed at 3:10 (and I'm not criticizing here, just making an observation) - after tying down the quill with 2 wraps and trimming, it appeared to slip a little (about 1/4 turn) at the tie-down. I have this happen with biots and material like stretch floss, but if I hold the body material back and make an additional wrap tight in front of the tie-down, it seems to lock it in place; don't know if it's because I'm not using enough tension on the initial 2 wraps, but it seems to alleviate the issue.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

Well spotted.
    Most materials I tie off get tied off with a 'U'-locking turn, which makes it bomb-proof on the initial thread wrap. The relatively flat&wide, and slippery, stripped quill does not allow this as easily, and this more conventional locking down shown in the clip included some operator error

Btw - this was but one of four moments in the clip where there is some room for improvement. The Shadow knows...

Cheers,
    Hans W

AlanB Guest

Something I've noticed in a few of your patterns Hans, and I've just got to ask. Does the nationality of the hare matter? Is this a different material to what we know as hare?

Cheers,
    A.

AlanB

The materials list at the beginning of the video describes the thorax dubbing as Argentina Hare

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Something I've noticed in a few of your patterns Hans, and I've just got to ask. Does the nationality of the hare matter? Is this a different material to what we know as hare?
    I doubt the nationality matters any, Alan, but here is the thing:

Hares are not indigenous to South America, but have been introduced there by settlers from Europe, so the hares in Argentinia are Lepus capensis. So far, so normal.

I call the material Argentinean Hare, as this is the name on the packet. I do not know whether it is actually hare, or some other base - the company who markets it, Swiss-CDC, is not telling. What I do know is that it has superb texture, it comes in some very useful colors, and I love tying with it.

Cheers,
    Hans W

AlanB Guest

Thats more or less what I thought. Just couldn't resist asking that way. I suppose that climate will have more effect than anything else, like "Coastal" deer hair.

As yet I haven't got my hands on any Swiss CdC products but have heard lots of good things about it. Next time I travel back to civilisation I may try to pick some up.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Great job Hans!! Beautiful fly.
    Byron

Hi Hans,

I believe you know how I look upon your tying, so I hope you'll take this as a question and not as a critique.
    Scott P. wrote, "One thing I noticed at 3:10 (and I'm not criticizing here, just making an observation) - after tying down the quill with 2 wraps and trimming, it appeared to slip a little (about 1/4 turn) at the tie-down."
    Now when I viewed the video I noticed the same thing and wanted to ask: 1)Wouldn't an additional wrap in front of the butt end lock the quill so it doesn't spring back(as it does a little) and loosen up? And 2)Do you think that the type of thread you used, one that's flat multi-fiber, locks the material as well as a type like Uni-Thread given the same number of wraps used?
    Using that thread, wouldn't that quill have been locked in better if you had spun the thread, made 2 wraps on the quill and 1 wrap in front of it. Then you could have whipped finished(as you did) and allowed the thread to unspin and return to its 'flat' consistency. What do you think?

Oh, I missed one of your posts above but I'm asking anyway, lol.

Cheers,

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 12-19-2012 at 12:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread