Closed Thread

Thread: So what do you do when you can no longer fly fish?

Hybrid View

Default So what do you do when you can no longer fly fish?

That is precisely where I am at right now. Will there be a time in the future when I can fly fish again? Probably. However I may not want to. So now my gear is heading for eBay and the local kids through their schools. I need the money with medical bills piling up.

I have not only lost my ability to fly fish I have lost almost all interest in it. I need to concentrate on things less physically demanding things until I can get my surgeries done but it's not just that. The thrill of this sport is gone for me. I have changed as has the sport perhaps neither for the better. This used to be a simple, uncomplicated, relaxing sport for me at one time. Now I feel that fly fishing, like most of our sports, has been over commercialized.

Time to put the long rods, the tying gear, into the hands of the younger ones so I can concentrate on some more relaxing, healing activities. Breaking out the cameras and picking my Appalachain Mountain Dulcimer back up.

Before i go ask yourself What would you do when you can no longer fly fish? What will you do if you ever loose the passion for the sport?

Nighthawk,For me,it has nothing to do with fishing.It is my way of getting lost,an excuse to be there.A moment of escape.As a Vet,I need that from time to time.What ever you do,whether a camera or Ducimer,find it and feel it.Ray

I'd like to hear you play the hammered dulcimer some time. I have no other suggestions except to say that you shouldn't sink so low as to spend your time watching "reality" T.V.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

It happens every year around this time. I can no longer fly fish. So... I ice-fish.

I also usually read a lot more books in the winter.
    I know this isn't what you meant. It's an intriguing question. I don't have a good answer...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I didn't start fly fishing until I was past 55. So, I am the opposite as my interest in fly fishing is still new. I know one day I'll not be able to wade strong current or in to back country streams. I just hope sitting on the bank or in a canoe will get me close enough to wet a line. I recently had surgery and I am in physical therapy for a bad ankle and knee. My new brace arrived yesterday. I may move slower but, I still move. I hope you rekindle your passion. Perhaps sharing and teaching others is your way to enjoy the sport now...

This isn't to sound flip. I have so many hobbies and interests the thought of what to do if interest in one wanes has never crossed my mind. Church and doing a lot of music and teaching there consumes a lot of time. Gardening, sailing, hunting, shooting for fun, pleasure and competition, reloading and casting bullets, restoring bamboo fly rods, tying flys. I sitll enjoy downhill and XC skiing but at almost 60 those 10 mile ski trips are a thing of the past, dinking around with my vintage sports cars and reading and studying about all the above.

Closed Thread