Thread: New Rod

Threaded View

Default New Rod

So, the "new to me" Thomas and Thomas 4wt that I was so excited to get, didn't turn out to be in the best of shape so its going back to its rightful owner. Tha'ts all I'll say, but it was an adventure.

Now, I'm in the market for a new 4wt rod and looking for thoughts and opinions on the current market offerings. Any suggestions welcome.

Looking for a 7'6", 8'0", or 8'6" 4wt rod with a moderate action. I had a St. Croix Legend Ultra once and really liked it. I've looked at the TFO Finesse Series and like the looks of those but don't know how they cast. I have a Orvis Clearwater 9ft 6wt that I like for bass. My budget is max of $300 for the rod.

Let me know what else is out there worth considering. Not looking to buy used unless its mint condition. The last one (see above) was no where near fair much less mint!

One thing to add...I've seen some bamboo rod makers on Ebay for $300 or so. Anyone have opinions? Never fished bamboo, but always thought they were much more expensive than that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AGrant; 12-14-2012 at 09:54 AM.