+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rod

Hybrid View

Default New Rod

So, the "new to me" Thomas and Thomas 4wt that I was so excited to get, didn't turn out to be in the best of shape so its going back to its rightful owner. Tha'ts all I'll say, but it was an adventure.

Now, I'm in the market for a new 4wt rod and looking for thoughts and opinions on the current market offerings. Any suggestions welcome.

Looking for a 7'6", 8'0", or 8'6" 4wt rod with a moderate action. I had a St. Croix Legend Ultra once and really liked it. I've looked at the TFO Finesse Series and like the looks of those but don't know how they cast. I have a Orvis Clearwater 9ft 6wt that I like for bass. My budget is max of $300 for the rod.

Let me know what else is out there worth considering. Not looking to buy used unless its mint condition. The last one (see above) was no where near fair much less mint!

One thing to add...I've seen some bamboo rod makers on Ebay for $300 or so. Anyone have opinions? Never fished bamboo, but always thought they were much more expensive than that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AGrant; 12-14-2012 at 09:54 AM.

St. Croix has a 7 1/2 foot four weight Legend Ultra on closeout. It is hard to beat at $155 but it might be a bit faster than moderate.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/catalog/Fly-25-1.html#

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    St. Croix has a 7 1/2 foot four weight Legend Ultra on closeout. It is hard to beat at $155 but it might be a bit faster than moderate.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/catalog/Fly-25-1.html#
    Sounds like what I'm looking for. Like I said, I had one before and really liked it. In looking just now in the bargain room, they have a 7'9" 3wt that looks interesting. What I'm looking for is a rod for warmwater bluegill and trout streams in the smokies.

Thanks for the heads up.

NewTyer 1 Guest

The TFO Finesse Series rods cast well, I used to own one. As far as the $300 dollar bamboo rods on eBay, they probly look nice but action is another story. It might be a good, bottom of the line entrance level bamboo.

NewTyer 1 Guest

PM sent to you

Check out the Cabelas Stowaways. Happy with mine.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    Any suggestions welcome.

Looking for a 7'6", 8'0", or 8'6" 4wt rod with a moderate action. I had a St. Croix Legend Ultra once and really liked it. I've looked at the TFO Finesse Series and like the looks of those but don't know how they cast. I have a Orvis Clearwater 9ft 6wt that I like for bass. My budget is max of $300 for the rod.

Let me know what else is out there worth considering. Thanks.
    It might be worth your time to run a search for Redington CT series rods, which are being D/C'd. I've seen sale prices for them as low as $89.00 on the net. There are still plenty of them out there ( specific lengths and weights ) if you broaden your search, beyond the usual big name outfitters

Good luck, Dave

I just got a Redington CT, 75 bucks out the door on sale. I think they are replacing that model with the tempt. But the CT is a great rod. You could also check out Allen Fly fish, I have one of their reels and it's great don't have a rod from them, but they offer a try before you buy program now, and have rods well below your price range that appear to be of good quality. If their reels are any indication than I'd imagine the rods are equally as impressive.

To me the St. Croix Ultra Legend is not a moderate-action rod. I'd look at their Avid rods (assuming they still make them.) Many of the Orvis lines come in different actions. I've heard good things about their Access mid-flex rods.

Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 12-15-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Hey there,

If you can find yourself a Hardy Marksman, I'm sure that you will be more than pleased. I have two of these in a 4 and 6 weight and they're exactly what your looking for. They are more of a medium to medium fast action rod and they truly are a pleasure to cast. Good luck finding the right rod. Shopping aroundis half the fun!!

+ Reply to Thread