+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping your casting Instructor??

Default Tipping your casting Instructor??

I was planning on taking some fly casting lessons this weekend. I was curious if it is common place to tip your instructor??

Is this something that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for all of you fine people for answering my questions.
    This place is great even if you have to decipher JC's posts.[JK]

NoLuck,

I believe it's part of a vast fly fishing conspiracy..[G].

i would say if you gained some valuable experience from his instruction. why not. if your still not sure just ask. i wouldn't think of it as being out of line to tip. think of what you just gained.
    caddisbug

Y'know, when I take a job, the salary is set before the contract is signed. I sometimes have a real problem with tips.

I have never asked for, expected or wanted a tip, in fact most of the time I don't charge at all.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

As a general rule I would say 'No" to tipping a casting instructor. This would especially be true if you are in a group class, whether at Orvis, Wulffs, a TU or FFF class. If it is a one on one instruction where the person ends up actually taking you on a river and acting as not only an instructor but a guide, you may wish to show your gratitude in the way of a tip if you feel the instructor has gone above and beyond what was expected of them.

NoLuck,
    I'd generally say no! You agree to pay an hourly fee for example and it's usually steep enough if the fellow wants to charge in the first place.

I've seen it anywhere from $20 to $75 per hr. Hmmm...

No, I don't think it's necessary. I'd have trouble if it were "expected"!

Jeremy.

Edit: I agree with another poster on tipping. I'm far from cheap but tipping is bothersome, bigtime to me save for a guided trip.

No Luck and all,

I believe our society is intimidated to tipping some services but not all. Granted, some services are very costly and most would people would not consider tipping for them. Do we make a habit of tipping plumbers, elecricians, and lawyers?

If your casting instructor is working though a fly shop or an employee of the shop, then they may be getting a small cut or their regular wage, and the tip may be very much appreciated. If your instructor is a private party charging a rate he sets, then don't feel intimidated to tip. After all, they did set the rate. A polite handshake and "thank you" may suffice, or you may still wish to give them a "little something extra."

In essence, consider doing whatever it is that will make you feel good days after the instruction. You probably don't want to wake the next day saying to yourself "I really shouldn't have tipped that instructor, afterall he wasn't very helpful and charged plenty" or "I wish I had left Jimbo a nice tip, since he was very personable and taught me more than I would have learned in years on my own."

The choice is yours. Let your conscience and your experience be your guide.

I say, how nice you should ask. I do agree though, that it would probably embarrass most good casting teachers. Maybe for a service (guiding ?) but not for instruction. Nope, gotta agree, don't do it.

Some you buy them a drink and say "Thank You!", others you grab them by their belt and rotate them 180 degrees, planting their head into a hole. ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread