+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Wife was wrong! I didn't have a lifetime supply, and now where to go?

Default My Wife was wrong! I didn't have a lifetime supply, and now where to go?

Does Whiting still produce 12;14;16;18 Furnace Hackle in the 100s?
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Hi McManus,

I looked on a few fly tying supplier sites, on Ebay, and on Whitings site. Whiting does list Furnace as being available from their Whiting and Hebert Minor lines.

I could not find any actual Whiting Furnace 100s listed on the sites I looked at. You can go to Whitings site, I think, and phone them to find out about avaiability. I have phoned them in the past and was treated very well by the folks.

There are Whiting 1/2 saddles listed on Ebay by outfits like Dettetroutflies. If you contact them, I believe that they will size the feathers on a saddle so you get what you want. If you get 2 or 3 sizes on a 1/2 half saddle, then it is actually much cheaper than the same amount of feathers in the 100 packs. If you buy a 1/4 saddle, you might pay about the same as two 100 packs, but you should get a lot more feathers.

I haven't looked lately, but do have Metz saddles from a few years ago, and their "brown" saddles were actually furnace, with fairly wide black strips in the centeral portion of the feather. That might be another source of furnace. Also Denny Conrad, at Conranch hackle, one of this sites sponsors, also has furnace saddles.

I have bought from Denny, and am certain that he would be glad to size a saddle for you so that you get the sizes you want.

That said, I do not believe that either Metz or Denny will have saddles in the tiny sizes.

I have both Metz and Conranch hackle, although only have Denny's capes, and have been very satisfied with both brands. I believe that Denny or Metz will be able to supply the furnace you want in the larger sizes of #12s and #14s, and some saddles may have a small number o #16s on them, but do not know that for certain.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 12-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.

All good ideas, thank you.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

I just looked and jimsflyco has two furnace saddles listed. Go to his Whiting page then click on other colors. Collinshacklefarm also has furnace.

Just checked my inventory sheet and know it is not 100% accurate but.
    2 grade #1 capes furnace
    4 grade #2 capes furnace
    2 grade #2 saddles furnace
    12 grade #3 saddles furnace

I know all the capes will tie from 28/32 up to the big boys
    Saddles will tie mostly size 12s, but I can check and perhaps get a more accurate sizing on them.

509-999-7472
    Denny
    Denny

+ Reply to Thread