+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you using on your tying bench that is a little different?

Uncle Jesse,

I'm pretty sure it's not a mortar and pestle since the hole is only about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and the bottom of the hole is flat rather than rounded as you would see in a pestle. Also, the inside of the hole is raw granite and not polished. I actually looked at the bottom of it just now for the first time (I've only had it about 4 years now), and it was originally sold by a fancy bed and breakfast in North Georgia for $27. I bought it for $2 at a local Goodwill store. Anyway, it works great for what I'm using it for.

Jim

sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I use a sheet of light blue foam from the craft store to set in the back ground when Tying flys, I learned this from I think one of the fly tyers on here,for the flys to show up better when taking pictures . I have found I can see the flys better when tying when I set up a background, they dont blend in with everything else..
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I really like this gutter trash collector.....

<green with envy>

Uncle Jesse, this is the panel. Often you can get scraps or small pieces at a home building store. I should say I got this tip from Charles Jardine, last year's NIFFE featured speaker.

Moscow
    Last edited by Moscow; 12-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    . . . the hole is only about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and the bottom of the hole is flat . . . it was originally sold by a fancy bed and breakfast in North Georgia for $27.

Having been drug moaning and groaning thru many a knick-knack store in NGa, I'd be willing to bet (tho substantially less than $10,000 ) it's second purpose in life was as a candelabra (it's first was a rock !)

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have a little trash draw built it to my custom red oak tying desk with a hole to drop the scraps to drop through. When it's full, I just slide out the draw and out goes the trash. Here you can just make out the bottom of the draw on the left side, underneath the top shelf. There is a hole through the shelf where you put the scraps into the draw.

New Tyer1, What you have that caught my eye was the book holder. I definitely must come up with something like that.

Since the time this thread started one idea i really liked was the rain gutter ducksterman or the 4" pvc pipe half Jim Smith was using to catch their waste. After reviewing my options and not having either readily available, I took what I did have a surplus of, Folger's coffee containers, and with some electric tape and hot glue converted a couple of cylinders into a couple of troughs. Coat hangers converted to mounting bracket are working well. Since I use a clamp on vise that required an adjustment there also. But end of the day. It works.
    Tying bench 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Jesse, I obsconsed the book holder from my wife, she uses it to hold her cookbooks while she cooksThe coffee cans you used were a great idea but, I was trying to find your clothes hangers in the picture. Perhaps they aren't it the picture or I just can't see them. As far as the book holder goes, you could take a piece of wood, book size and put a shelf on the lower edge and then a short 1" piece on the shelf to keep the pages from closing and then something to hold it up at and angle, like a stand or maybe you can go to the dollar store and by one of those japanese wooden stands for holding fans of plates on thier sides. You know the ones I'm talking about. They are usually dark in color and fold in the middle.

Very ingenious, Jesse. Just some observations ...first I'll give Jim Smith credit for the idea...I believe he has it published here on FAOL. I wanted to keep it simple and since I had some gutter I used it.I have since found out I like the open ends. They are not a problem with spillage and they make it very easy to clean. I just brush the trash out of either end into a waste basket. Probably more often I use a handy hand held vac and just suck it up. All this means I don't have to remove the gutter.

+ Reply to Thread