Thread: Unalakeet

Threaded View

My first job was guiding at Unalakleet in 1981/82. It was then called Silvertip Lodge. I was 17, fresh out of high school, missing graduation/prom and all that because the lodge was opening and I had to finish up two weeks early. I mostly did what I was told. The other lodge guides and manager said that we could not tell the difference between a char and a dolly without examining them biologically with a scalpel or something. So, when a guest caught a larger, beautiful "char" with big orange spots, we told them they caught a "char." When they caught a smaller "dolly" with pale colors and small spots, we told them it was a "dolly." Hey, I was just a kid on a summer adventure and getting paid for it! I still, to this day, don't know which they were, but they're so closely related, it doesn't really matter anyway. Your post brought back those memories of a great river, great (and interesting) people, and two great summers that forever shaped who I would become and my career path. To this day, over 30 years later, I'm still a fishing guide, and have done little else. Hmmm.

It was $3,000 a week for a guest back then. I'd sure love to go back there some day. I can still remember every bend in the rivers (there's two forks), every gravel bar (including the ones I hit at 30 mph!), the cut banks, the trees, the constant rain, the clouds of mosquitos, 100-fish days on silvers, kings and chums galore, the muskox, . . . A rookie kid guide absorbs everything like a sponge, and its all still with me. So many "firsts."
    Last edited by DeadDrifting; 12-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.