Thread: Unalakeet

Threaded View

Default Unalakeet

This note is addressed mainly to hap but I thought some of you might find it interesting

Your recent comments & pictures of Chars and Dollys kindled some old memories. I got to wondering if I had caught any char. I knew I had caught a lot of Dollys in Oregon and other places.

So I Googled the town of Unalakeet to see if I could find out what type of fish were in their river. I found there was a lodge there and the Unalakeet had both species. So I will assume I have caught a char. Also caught either char or Dollys out of the Kenai.

If you wonder why I can't remember hears my story. In the summer of 1962 I flew from Fairbanks to Unalakeet complements of the government. We were boated several miles up stream placed in canvas tents with wood floors. We were given use of a boat with an outboard. The whole trip was a blast with many fish caught. Sadly I have no pictures of that trip.

Anyway we spent about a week there and fished till we were worn out. Lots of Salmon & Grayling and I think I caught a monster whitefish as well as char & dollys. And the bottom line is the lodge charges $5,300 for a week. My cost for the trip was $25.00 but we had to furnish our own food.

Thanks for awakening that period of my life.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 12-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.