+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help/info for float tube inflatable vest????

Hybrid View

Default Help/info for float tube inflatable vest????

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this question - If it belongs in the paddling section please move.
    I am looking at purchasing Cabelas inflatable life vests. They will soon have a manual/automatic inflating on sale.
    My question is does any one have experience with the auto inflate while float tubing? I am wondering if the vest will inflate say if a fish splashes some water onto the vest.
    Any input to my decision making process would be appreciated.
    Should I consider the auto/manual vest or go with the manual inflate only???????

Thanks for any input.

Dick xfishcop

Blog Entries

I would avoid complicated stuff and stick to the manual. I have used them for many years, but never had to rely on one.

One serious word of caution... The O-rings go bad after time and should be replaced annually. A friend was becoming concerned about the waves and decided to inflate just to make him feel better. The vest popped open just fine, then deflated very nearly as fast. If you are going to use them make sure you maintain them!

I've never used an auto-inflate, but read many complaints where some brands had gone off in the garage, on a humid day, etc. They are not supposed to inflate due to casual water (splashing, etc), but the performance is going to depend on the brand. Mustang has a good rep; some of the BPS vests do not. Bargains aren't a good deal.
    In a float tube, I'd say a manual is a better choice. In whitewater situations, auto is actually required in some waters.
    If you get one, get spare CO2 cannisters and TRY IT OUT! You'd be surprised at what could go wrong.

I may be the resident expert on float tube emergencies and I do wear a Sospenders manual inflatable. The first time I was had my feet higher than my head in my float tube, I did remember I had it on and what was required. Being in shallow still water I was able to right myself without activating it. That was a doughnut tube Last years in my Fishcat I found myself upside down tied to my tube by my casting apron. My face never got underwater, I reached for the pull once did not find it immediately stopped the search effort for the pull and resume splashing and clawing for land. The next week I added a larger braided fob to the activation pull. Last year I would have welcomed an automatic activation the first time I am glad I did not have one.

With a doughnut tube the probability of an unintentional activation would seem to be pretty high as you are sitting pretty low in the water. A young friend told me his auto did operate while in his garage during a warm Georgia summer afternoon. Be sure you can find and pull the activation line in an emergency.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

A friend and I were taking a Swiss Exchange Student fishing. Pete had sponsored the very likeable lad, but he was not as good in English as he perhaps should have been. He was very curious about the SOSpenders we had him using. The "Jerk to Inflate" toggle language was just not making sense to him... Pete and I knew exactly what was going to happen...

Pete pointed at him laughing and said "Yes, jerk is going to inflate it."
    The kid was still trying to figure it out when he pulled just hard enough...
    Watching the shock and red cheeks while he tried to sit on it to hide it was absolutely classic.

For the rest of his stay he remained "Jerk to Inflate"...

We had just been looking at replacing the O-rings and CO2 charges and had them on hand, so it was not a problem having the lad pop a charge. Actually, I encourage people to get in a survival suit and fall overboard when they are on my boat. You never know when a little safety knowledge/experience might be handy...

Thanks for the O-ring tip Hap. I have the Cabela's pfds and never have had to use it yet. Will have to check the rings.

Beaver

Thanks for all of the input. I will order the manual inflate and extra arming kit. Good to know about the o-ring maintenance concern.

xfishcop

+ Reply to Thread