+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When, if ever, do you keep some fish?

Hybrid View

Default When, if ever, do you keep some fish?

Not really intending to start a big argument with this. If you are a total catch-and-release fisher I respect that point of view completely. However, I really would like your opinions. Under what circumstances might you keep some trout for the pan?

For me, there are 3 situations where I might keep a fish or two.

1. When I am fishing a place with lots of fish but with no natural reproduction and I know the fish are all stockers.
    2. When I am fishing a place that is over run with smaller fish.
    3. When I am certain the fish will not survive if released.

Let me conclude by saying my wife LOVES to eat trout. Particularly after about 4-6 hours in the smoker. Bringing home a fish or 2 from time to time makes her much more agreeable to my next fishing trip.

So, what say you?

I think your 3 scenarios are very reasonable. For my part, I rarely keep freshwater fish except for an occasional crappie or yellow catfish if I can eat it within 24 hours or so. Saltwater species, in moderation, are fair game in my book. Except for the occasional redfish or speckled trout, most of the fish I keep are not caught on a fly rod.

Blog Entries

I agree with your three criteria, I love trout cooked on a camp fire fresh.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Wild salmon are managed in Alaska for an aggressive harvest, adequate reproduction numbers, and all will die within months anyway. So we eat quite a lot of them. Of course king salmon in much of AK are not doing well over the past decade or so and I layoff them unless they are stocked in one of the "terminal harvest" areas.

I do not remember the last time I killed a rainbow.

We usually kill a lake trout or two on accident out of a big bunch and we eat those. They are eating salmon smolts in huge quantity and the biologist says it is okay to kill a lot more... But I am not buying that!

We kill and smoke a few dollies every year and their unique life style lends itself well to killing some without concentrating the pressure on any one spawning population.

A new law this year in SouthCentral AK says no pike may be returned alive to the water. Cut them up and toss the pieces back... In the Alexander Lake system they netted and killed tremendous trophy pike last year... But they are not worth attempting to eat.
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    A new law this year in SouthCentral AK says no pike may be returned alive to the water. Cut them up and toss the pieces back... In the Alexander Lake system they netted and killed tremendous trophy pike last year... But they are not worth attempting to eat.
    art
    I'm not a fan of pike in places they shouldn't be (or any fish that has a detrimental effect on a cold water fishery), but I've found them to be quite good table fare, as well as pickerel. The trick is in filleting them without leaving any of the "Y" bones in it.

I'll keep fish if it's legal size and I'm in need of dinner but I certainly release more fish than I keep much to the dismay of some of my family who'd rather I bring something home for them. It also depends on where I'm fishing too, if it's a put and take fishery, that's what it's there for, or if I'm hiking I don't really want to be packing a couple trout around all day. If I'm into the white perch heavy on the hardwater I'll keep them all, they freeze well if you filet them out and put them in a block of ice, will eat good all winter battered and fried.

When fishing lakes here in Wyoming (that aren't designated trophy waters). Most of Wyoming's lakes are stocked.
    If the fish will not survive its release.
    When camping or backpacking. (Nothing like a freshly caught fish over the fire!)

I normally do not keep fish caught in rivers, since Wyoming is making a push to make most trout waters fully wild.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Those are all fair reasons to keep fish.

I thought I hadn't personally kept any fish this year, but checked my Fishing Log and was reminded I kept 2 trout to eat in January (while ice-fishing) that met criterium #1. This Fall, I did give 4 trout I had caught to other (elderly) anglers...also meeting criterium #1.

For comparison, I've released 3,106 fish this year.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

When the wife starts her rant about how I'm always fishin' but never bring home any for supper, I go out and catch a mess of bluegill
    They're better eatin' and it's good for the fishery.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

When do I keep Fish? Most every time I go fishing. I really like to eat fish plus I live in an area of mostly retired people who really appreciate some fresh fish. That being said I release Rainbow Trout from a stream because I think they are poor tasting and the limit is just two. I also let any big bass or Perch go in hope they will create more biggies.

By doing this I get a lot of cookies from the neighbors.

Tim

I think you're on the money Royce.

In my area, the DNR stocks "catchable" sized rainbows in certain stream areas. I will keep on or two of them on occasion.

We also have some streams with a 12"-16" slot regulation. Those streams frequently have very good fish populations and keeping a few fish less than 12" is probably good for the overall population.

I agree with your point 3 about fish that will not survive as well. However, in my experience, this should only happen on very rare occasions if you land fish reasonably quickly, handle them gently, and get them back in the water quickly.

+ Reply to Thread