+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wading boots

1. Default wading boots

I need to replace my Simms Guide boots as the side is blown out where they attach at the sole.I"ve had them for about 8 years and they don't oew me anything.Iwas wondering what your thoughts were on replacement boots.I've been thinking about the Korkers,Patagonia and the newer version of Simms Guide boot.I tend to do a lot of bushwacking for smallies in the summer months and steelhead throughout the fall and winter.Any input on the pros and cons would be appreciated.THanks in advance.

Getting 8 years of heavy use out of a pair of boots is pretty outstanding. I've got a pair of Simms that have been going about that long, but all my other boot purchases haven't lasted anywhere near that long. "Lightweight" boots of any brand haven't last real long for me either. If you're a heavy user and want them to last a long time, I'd stick with Simms or Patagonia.

if you can find them, Weinbrenner has some outstanding wading boots. They have a defined heel that seems to give better traction.I think there was a Gary Borger endorsed model that was very good.I've been wearing them for for over a decade. On my second pair.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

4. Default

would you happen to know if Weinbrenner makes a boot with a rubber sole.All I've ever seen from them is a felt .The snow really sticks to the felt so they're not really an option unless as a back up pair.

I've had the Simms Guide boots for about a year now and really like them. Very comfortable ( which is the most important consideration for me ), the upper is very rugged and looks like it will last a long time, and the streamtred sole not only has really good traction in and out of the water, but is replaceable at a reasonable cost.

Can't speak to the more recent versions of Korker's, but I had them for a number of years and my experience was that the quality control was inconsistent. I had a couple pair that lasted a reasonably long time and a couple pair that lasted a very short time. Also, the old system for using the different soles wasn't all that great - let a sole come out once and walk without it in place and that was about all she wrote as far as reliability of the sole staying in place. Hopefully, Korker's has remedied that problem with the new design ??

I'm a very brand loyal person. I expect to stay with Simms for a long time.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread