+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Above all things don't swear

Default Above all things don't swear

I am reading about Dr James Henshall and tying some classic bass flies. I was intrigued by the article in the autumn 2012 issue of Flyfisher, Tying and Fishing Dr.Henshall's Favorite Flies by Terry and Roxanne Wilson. I came across this quote in his book, Book of theBlack Bass - 1881,

"Should you cast your fly into a branch of a tree overhead, or into a bush behind you, or miss your fish striking, or lose him when hooked, or crack off your tail-fly, or slip into a hole up to your armpits - keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish. Remember, yours is the gentle art, and a fly-fisher should be a gentleman."

Apparently, I am doomed to "catch no fish"...
    Last edited by billhouk; 12-09-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: formatting

Blog Entries

NOW you tell me?!?!

ummmmmm, I am a steelheader...................there is nothing "gentle" about winter steelheading whether by fly or other means.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

He must have been fishing in a dream world. **** if I don't swear I'm not fishin.

I can make a trout blush with some of the "words" I throw out there. Not just the Rainbows either.

I tried this today during the Cowboys vs Bengals game. It was hard with all the C'boy's mistakes but I endured and they won by a point at the last second. Hope I can remember this when I'm on the stream. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

So far only those who can't live without swearing have posted here so I guess it wont hurt to hear from the other side. When I was young (a Submariner in my 20s) I could out swear and drink most people. But when my Daughter was born and a 5 year old neighbor boy came over and wondered "where the f*** the baby was", I told Her Mother that my Daughter would not learn to talk like that from me. I'll admit that it was hard to quit and if I get real mad a word may slip out. But I don't miss it. Does this mean that I'm a better Fly fisher? NO, It just means that I'm more pleasent to be around and I don't fish with people who do. Just my two cents.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Might apply to Hawaiian bones, also. Seems to be a common phrase though. (Uncensored painting is on the wall of a fly shop on Oahu.)

Denny and other admins, this was intended to be an amusing anecdote from the historical origins of our sport. If it turns political, religious or mean spirited please delete it and my apologies to all.
    Thanks,
    Bill

For years now, I have been training myself, whenever I feel the need to vent an expletive, to utter, "GOD BLESS AMERICA!" Most of the folks who know me, know that when they hear that, it's not good.

+ Reply to Thread