+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speckled Wing Callibaetis

Blog Entries

Default Speckled Wing Callibaetis

Messing around today trying to come up with something that would work for a callibaetis next summer. I think the Grizz wings imitate the insect.

Think this will work? Post a pic of your imitation.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Looks like a Cali to me. Is the rib material wire?

Blog Entries

It's stripped hackle stem Chew.

AlanB Guest

There's something you don't see often these days, Wonderwings. They can be difficult to balance as a pair. Should you find that the fly often sits to one side or the other when fishing it then just use a single wing. It makes no difference to the fish.

I have been told of a time when wings made a difference in what we here call a "dun" pattern (one tied to represent the sub-imago stage of the adult). That was late in the day when the sun was low. One of the points the fish had keyed onto was the shadow of the wing on the water. The trout wouldn't take an imitation with no wings. I've not experienced this myself, so I would say this isn't a common occurrence. It is evidence though that sometimes the wing is important. One wing will cast a shadow every bit as well as two.

Years ago when I played with the Wonderwing, and came up with the step over wing, I tied the fishing versions with a single wing, and the demonstration flies with two.

Your fly has something of the look of the Kites Imperial to it. If you want a traditional English look to your fly you should consider tying some of those. The body calls for heron herl, as it is now protected you can use grey dyed goose herl. If you want an alternative to the Wonder wings you could try Wally, or pealed, Wings made from a duck flank feather. A teal flank feather would give you the speckled black and white. As both wings are made from a single feather they are easier to balance.

Yours, Byron, is a great looking fly. I don not mean to offer criticism, rather other alternatives you might like to try as you are looking for an effective pattern to imitate that insect.

Cheers,
    A.

the first part of a fly the trout see through their window is the wing tips, then wings, then body and legs. I think having some kind of wing is very important to the construction of a fly pattern.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

AlanB Guest

Byron, Here you go, as requested.
    Unfortunately I don't know what size the bug you are imitating is so I have plumped for a size 14. Basically it is a Kites Imperial with additional Wally wings. These are made from a single teal flank feather that is tied in then pealed apart. I find them much easier to tie than wonder wings. As I have some I've used the original heron herl for the body. Grey dyed goose or turkey is indistinguishable when tied.

Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 12-10-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: One of the photos didn't appear.

And just in case anyone would like to see how Wally Wings are made ...

Blog Entries

Very nice, Alan! Thanks for showing me.

Have always wondered how Wally/Wonderwings cast? Do they have a tendency to twist the leader, especially light ones?

Nice tie, of course.

AlanB Guest

Whatfly, About the same as slip wing flies I would say. All paired upright wings tend to twist the leader. If it is happening to excess it is a sign you are using a tippet that is to fine for the size of fly. Size 16 is about as small as I would go using Wally Wings normally. If you follow the X rating system then they will not twist your leader significantly.

What I use them for most is to make a lighter wing on Wullf Style flies for Mayflies (Ephemeralla). These are on size 8 to 12 long shank hooks so heavy leaders are the norm when fishing them.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread