+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Fly Tying Tool Kit

Hybrid View

Default Traveling Fly Tying Tool Kit

A question: If you were assembling a fly tying tool kit for traveling, what would you include? I am interested in just tools...bobbins, sicissors, etc...not actual fly tying materials or hooks.

I want to assemble a seperate kit that I can grab and go without stealing from my tying table.

Thanks in advance

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Kaboom,

I duplicated the brand and model of tools I use at home. The late Harry Mason (aka bones) taught me to keep my traveling kit simple and to use the same tools one uses normally. That lesson has kept my traveling kit uncluttered and a joy to work.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Warren and I thought along the same lines, I would add a electrical test clip and a popsicle stick with some velcro on it, fine sandpaper on the other.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I just returned from a flight (with connection) to CO and was thinking about a 'minimalist kit' that would be permitted within carry on luggage. So your question is very similar. Speaking solely about tools, here's what I came up with: 1)Scissors (legal for air travel although I have to find out); 2)Bobbin; 3)Hackle Pliers; 4)Head of a Toothbrush with the bristles cut down; and, 5)Hair Stacker. That's it.
    I can get by without a half hitch, a whip finisher, bobbin threader, dubbing needle and other misc. tools.

Allan

PS - I just looked it up and here's what I found out about scissors: "Scissors: metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches" are allowed on a flight." So I guess my tying scissor that is 3-1/2 inches is okay.
    Last edited by Allan; 12-05-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Blog Entries

My wife has her kit minimalized to tie just a few pattern for flights and never has issues with scissors and such... But she brings her regular vise. I can't do that... Wheels-up and I am asleep...

My kit has a Griffin Superior 3ARP vise because it is a true rotary that weighs next to nothing. I carry the usual compliment of tools, all of which is easier to decide on and carry than the materials selection...

Blog Entries

Everyone assumes it is for carry-on. If you are flying to a fishing destination, you can pack "normal" tools in your checked luggage. Can't do anything with them while on the flight anyway.
    I take my normal tools with a lighter vise when I travel to the mainland to go fishing.

vise, light, scissors, bobbin, hackle pliers, hair stacker, comb, half hitch tool, razor blades, pliers, SHHAN

Regards,
    Scott

Sorry, I either bring it all or not at all. Considering how often I pack tying stuff and never use it, I really don't see the point of setting up a "travel kit" that would mostly just collect dust. If I did, it would have to be nearly identical to what I have on my desk, and I'm not willing to duplicate all my tools just so I don't have to pack/unpack. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Sorry, I either bring it all or not at all. Considering how often I pack tying stuff and never use it, I really don't see the point of setting up a "travel kit" that would mostly just collect dust. If I did, it would have to be nearly identical to what I have on my desk, and I'm not willing to duplicate all my tools just so I don't have to pack/unpack. YMMV.
    My Mileage will vary. I have a summer home and I am constantly packing and unpacking my tools. It is a PITA. I am assembling a kit that I can grab and go. Starting with the tools and then progressing onto the bag,box, trunk, semi that will be needed to carry them and the materials.

Thanks for the advise though...

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread