+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling Fly Tying Tool Kit

Well that's understable, but you are not talking about a travel kit, you are talking about setting up a second tying bench. Two different concerns, in my book. Makes even less sense to make a small kit that does not have everything you need/want when you are moving between residences. Of course if you are only a light tier, a modest kit will probably do. I prefer to go heavy or leave it at home.

Blog Entries

Brad,
    Could you leave a set there?

I belong to a club that ties once a month, I have a cabin in Ontario, sometimes I go to friends to tie, and sometimes I travel to fish. So I have the kit shown here that I can grab and go for all occasions. It has almost everything, and as you can see, still doesn't take a lot of space. I have 3 vises, so one stays in the kit. A bottle of SallyH and the vise base are in a pouch behind the tools. You will see 2 kinds of tweezers, 3 scissors, 2 kinds of dubbing twisters, etc. No need to skimp and the extra cost is not that much for the convenience. The bag is from the pharmacy and intended as a cosmetic bag - similar & branded is sold by some fishing outlets at 3 times the cost.

You didn't want to discuss materials, but aside from one or two items for specific flies, my travel materials are simple and include only 3 hook sizes (#6 streamer, #12 nymph, and #16 dry) and small amounts/patches of material to tie 'anything brown/cream'. I figure that will cover most needs and be good enough for the duration (I am taking full fly boxes after all), and the assortment fits in one large zip-lock.

tying bag.jpg
    Last edited by Greg H; 12-06-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Brad, if air travel is not a concern, then all of those security concerns may be set aside. I take a vice, base plate for above, at least one pair of good scissors and maybe a second pair. One pair is scissors is be straight and the other might be curved. I pack at least two and probably 3-4 of ceramic, bobbin holders (a.k.a. bobbins in the U.S.). I take at least two dubbing needles. I have missed having a pad in my travel kit so from now on I intend to have a sheet (~8.5 x 11 inches) of foam from the craft store. That should help keep things from sliding/rolling/wafting off. Several paper towels are indisensable, but I'm not the most graceful of God's creatures. At least one pair of tweezers if a huge help. I can leave the whip finishers at home. Like you, I whip finish by fingers. I take a dubbin twister. I put my tools into a large, deep, undivided Plano box. That certainly helps to keep things contained. I'm sure I'll think of other things later. If so, I'll edit the post.

Regards,
    Ed

Greg

Thats what I am looking for. Cosmetic bag at the pharmacy....I guess my wife and I will be shopping tonight. Thanks.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Everyone assumes it is for carry-on. If you are flying to a fishing destination, you can pack "normal" tools in your checked luggage. Can't do anything with them while on the flight anyway.
    I take my normal tools with a lighter vise when I travel to the mainland to go fishing.
    Actually, tying on airplanes is not at all difficult or illegal... Small scissors are no issue.

Get one of these:
    http://jackdennisoutdoors.com/store/...ch-multi-tool/
    File, Wire Cutter, Knife to cut thread or whatever. and stick the blade in a log and channel lock for vise.
    Just need a bobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Greg

Thats what I am looking for. Cosmetic bag at the pharmacy....I guess my wife and I will be shopping tonight. Thanks.

Brad
    Be sure to find one that won't clash with your outfit.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread