Sport fishing column for Dec 3 to 10, 2012

Last week we started sharing our Christmas gift ideas, for the angler or anglers on your list. This week we provide for the gadget loving angler.

The "Spike-It Color-C-lector," (available from Cabalas Outfitters) is a hand held device that reads water color and light penetration. After analyzing these factors it offers a suggestion on what colors will be most visible to the fish. This is a gift that can be built on with applicable books such as "What Fish See" and "Master Angler." These two fascinating books explain light and water color how fish see the lures of flies we present to them. You can further build on these gifts with a section of blue, red, green, white, LED and UV lights.

A portable "Weather Station," that not only reads weather but predicts it, along with moon phases. This is another gift that can build upon with applicable books, such as "Moon Up, Moon Down," and many others that explain the correlation between weather patterns and fish feeding activities.

A "Fish Finder." While this tool is noted for its fish finding properties, the better ones also read water temperature. By getting a reading on water temperature, your angler will not only find his or her fish, but will gain a good idea of how active they are. This tool can also doubles as an entertainment center for the small children in your boat. Many of today's kids are entertainment screen oriented, so it is not much of a jump to have them watch the fish finder screen for fish. Drawing on my own personal experience, I can tell you that if you add some drinks and chips the kids can be good for up to two hours.

An "Electric Hook Sharpener." Some people my turn up their nose at this item, but once they try one their opinion often changes, especially after they have hand sharpened hundreds of hooks.

A "Line Winder." Any angler who has changed more than a few lines is sure to be pleased with this handy tool.

For the fly tyer; a "Rotary Fly Dryer." This item was only thought of by the epoxy fly bunch, but over time it has shown itself useful in many other fly tying applications.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are slow. For better success try a dead slow troll or retrieve during the warmest part of the day, with: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Coachman, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Dragonfly Nymph, Damsel Nymph, Halfback, Sixpack, Micro Leach, Big Black, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is fair for cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph.

The Harrison River is fair to slow for coho and cutthroat. For coho try: Eggo, Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, Olive Wooly Bugger, Bite Me, or Rolled Muddler.

The Chehalis River is fair for coho.

The Vedder River is slow for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Chernobyl Ant, Foam Hopper, or Irresistible.

The Thompson River is fair to good for steelhead, try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.