+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using foam flies

Hybrid View

NewTyer 1 Guest

Default Using foam flies

I recently read an article in Fly Fishing Magazine about Hoppers. They went over many technics of fishing them and the different types but, the one thing they iterated through out the whole article was this. The foam hoppers were just too light when compared to a live hopper by 2-3 grains. They did not hit the water with the same fish attracting spat that the live hopper had. They best match to the live hopper was the Jay-Dave Hopper which has a weight almost identical. There is no reason I think not to use foam but remember you may have to put just the smallest amount of weight in order to get the splat need to attract the fish.

I would think this would only matter in the few moments after the fly hit, or in extremely flat water (where ants & beetles are usually better anyway). When you are fishing hoppers in rough water like we do here, or stretching out the drift in average water, the initial splat wouldn't much matter. You could also just stop your cast a touch harder if you want a harder landing.

With the right cast you can delicately land a hopper or can make it hit the water like a rifle shot.
    Frankly, I think the author of that article was...um...mistaken.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

I usually tie my hoppers with heavier hooks (when I used to tie Chernobyls, they always landed on their backs so I thought a nymph/streamer hook would help), and after a few casts the hair wings and heads absorb a bit of water; whether that makes any difference is problematic. I catch fish on fresh flies and ones that have been on for a while; how you cast and where you cast is more important. I have absolutely no problem making my hoppers hit the water with a real good splat; now if you want something delicate, I'm at a loss.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

I am with coach and cutts. All my hoppers are foam, and I have no complaints. The caster is responsible for how the fly enters the water, and it is certainly easy enough to splat a big fat foam fly into the surface against the bank. These are trout after all, not physicists.

Arrow Darn ...

... forgot to weigh the hopper before I presented it here with no splat at all ...

... and this deaf and dumb trout ...

... still went after it and ate it.

Just my luck.

John

P.S. A couple other trouts have fallen for that trick the past few years.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread