Mike -- The red items are extracts from your post:

I have not used a true Clouser with a Tenkara rod and do not see myself using them. They are too heavy to cast effectively.
I think the problem was not that they were Clousers or some other similar weight fly; the problem was with the long line in still water with a sinking fly -- coupled with my limited tenkara casting ability. I also tried to cast Schminnows with bead head eyes (somewhat lighter than the Clousers) with the same disappointing results.

Also, when you and I fished Sugar Creek I was using my usual smallmouth-size Clouser pattern (it is on a 6 or 8 hook) and casting it without problems with my 10'3" Soyokaze. When I tried to cast with the long line, I was using a much heavier and longer (14 feet) rod.

When fishing deep water you are correct about getting the fly up to the surface to cast. I think the critical issue here is the depth the fly is fished and not the depth of the water, and my Clouser/Schminnow was not being fished deep. I even tried to cast while the fly was quite shallow and close to the surface. Same lousy results.

To get your fly to the surface you need to give your line a few roll type cast with the slack. That didn't work worth a darn for me, Mike. Too much line out for good roll casting.

...or a couple circle cast like your doing a double snake roll spey cast. You have the advantage of me, Mike. I don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about here. You are obviously more evolved than I am.

I know you are trying to be helpful on this, and if I sound quarrelsome, then I'm not doing a good job of expressing myself here.

SUMMARY: For now, I've pretty well given up on the idea of using a long line in still water, especially with a sinking fly. The only reason I tried it was because I wanted to find out if tenkara might be practical for wipers. They require a long cast when you are wading for them, as I prefer. For me, I see no use for long lines for panfish, bass, or trout, because even with western tackle I prefer to fish for those species close up and personal.