+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise set screw location

Hybrid View

Default Vise set screw location

Is there any special reason on vises that use a set screw to adjust the jaws of a vise to place it on the back side of the jaws? Wouldn't it be more convenient for almost everybody to have it facing the tyer?

How about lefties?

Tim

Tim,
    I'd wager there are more righties than lefties out there.

Blog Entries

Appearance?

Maybe Bryon but I prefer function over form up to a point.
    I'm sure you know what I'm referring to and I find it rather cumbersome.

Duck:

In case you didn't guess I am a lefty. I started tying flies when I was about 10 yrs old. My father, a righty, didn't think to flip the vise around to suit me being backwards. So I learned to tie with the vise positioned as if I was right handed. In fact I never thought any thing about it until I had to teach some scouts how to tie flies. It seems I was switching things around and around and confusing them. But they somehow learned.

I imagine that if vise manafactures thought they could make a few bucks they would make a product like you suggest.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Is there any special reason on vises that use a set screw to adjust the jaws of a vise to place it on the back side of the jaws? Wouldn't it be more convenient for almost everybody to have it facing the tyer?
    Huh? On Renzetti's, you either buy the left or right handed version, and the screw is on the side facing the tyer. Might be a problem for other vises, but if this is an issue, then don't buy those vises...

Blog Entries

Duckster
    You and the Great Fran Betters think alike
    This is my vise of his. Note the adjustment screw on tier's side........vise in the foreground. However, now we have the opening and closing lever on the opposite side.........

Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Bryon, it doesn't have to be that way. The cam lever can be very accessible.

Witness a Griffin Montana Mongoose ....the Renzetti as mentioned ..and there are many others..I know I'm preaching to the choir

http://www.npplinc.com/FF/wp-content...IFFIN-VISE.jpg

These have a cam lever that I will call "horizontal throw"...I mostly used a Danvise in the past...it comes with the set screws on the "back" of the jaws but because the cam lever is thrown horizontally I could rearrange the jaws and end up with the set screw in front...which I did.

Now to my real issue...I now have a Jvice... as you know ....and it has the set screw on the back....and it has what I would call a vertical throw on the cam lever.....a direction I find superior to the horizontal BTW.....but because of it I can't rearrange the jaws. I don't understand why Jay did it that way???
    Thought I would ask here first before asking him.

Whatfly, I never thought of the issue when I purchased but actually the vise is so great it is not a deal breaker.

"I happily tie on a Jvice"...now.....but would change the set screw in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries

I never found that problematic - for me anyway. I just looked at Pettijean's vise and I believe it is the same as Jay's in that regard.

+ Reply to Thread