+ Reply to Thread

Thread: J. A. R. S. ...

Hybrid View

Arrow J. A. R. S. ...

... as in Just Another Rubberlegs Stonefly nymph.

The river I planned to fish today usually fishes well this time of year with big stonefly nymphs, and it tends to eat a lot of them.

So I figured to tie a couple spares before heading out. While I was thinking about it, it occurred to me that I hadn't done an FEB stonefly nymph in a couple years. And it also occurred to me that maybe I could incorporate tails in the FEB, ala Duck's Green Drake.

First cast produced a warm up ...

... and a better look at the new fly.

A few casts later ...

... a really fat 17" cutthroat.

And a while later, on upstream a way ...

... another fat 17" fishy, that really knew how to show off the fly ...

Fished on eight different stretches of water, the JARS took fish from five of them, with fifteen hooked and thirteen landed in about three hours of fishing. All but two in hand were cutthroat, and the other two were rainbows.

The FEB has several features which I think are improvements over the old rubberlegs stonefly nymph. Improved profile, more action, and better texture, and a shorter hook shank for better hook ups. Of course, some more field testing needs to be done to see if it will outperform the old model on a consistent basis.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Nice job. Fly and fish!

Wow, jumbehemoth Cutties!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Hi JohnScott,

Pattern and tying instructions?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

AlanB Guest

In a recent post Byron was asking why we tended to use larger flies here in the UK. This seems to be an example when things are the other way around. I wish I had waters I could fish a big nymph like that on with confidence. Only once have I fished a water where that would be appropriate, and that wasn't in the UK. I wish I had it then. It may not be the most exact replica of a stone fly nymph but it has the right profile and lots of movement. I'd use it.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    In a recent post Byron was asking why we tended to use larger flies here in the UK. This seems to be an example when things are the other way around. I wish I had waters I could fish a big nymph like that on with confidence. Only once have I fished a water where that would be appropriate, and that wasn't in the UK. I wish I had it then. It may not be the most exact replica of a stone fly nymph but it has the right profile and lots of movement. I'd use it.

Cheers,
    A.
    Alan,
    Do you not have stoneflies? Didn't know they were limited to our streams. Wish I knew more about UK insects, but I sure thought they were there as well.

But, my post referred to insect to insect comparison. In particular the size of caddis/sedge imitations used here compared to the UK.
    As I have said, we too have some varieties of caddis flies (The Mother Day's Caddis, for example) in which the insect is quite large. However, the majority of our types of caddis flies are fairly small, yet, so many of the caddis flies tied by UK tiers are size 12 or even larger.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Great job John!!!

+ Reply to Thread