+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tippet to fly knot

Default Tippet to fly knot

I have always used the improved clinched knot to attach the fly to the tippet, and have had no problems with it, until now.
    It would appear that my eyesight is deteriorating and I am having an awful time in the late evening (you know, when the browns get going) changing flies. Last night, the trout were going crazy gorging themselves with caddis, I stood on the bank for over 20 minutes trying to change flies. I got so frustrated that I gave up and went home (literally almost crying). I do have a headlamp, although the time of day is not late enough to use one.
    I have seen somewhere a tippet to fly knot that people tie without even looking at the fly.
    Does anyone know what this knot is called and where I can find the directions/instructions to tie it?

Perhaps you are thinking of the Pitzen knot? Here is link [url=http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/pitzen-knot.html:8ff50]http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/pitzen-knot.html[/url:8ff50]

------------------
    Ron M

Look over in the FAOL knots section for the Weaver's knot. It is absolutely perfect for your problem. I could tie one of these with my eyes closed and shaking hands --just as long as I could thread the fly. And it is also stronger than the Clinch or improved clinch.

palomar is by far the most reliable for me, but run into problems with smaller flies

uniknot is pretty straightforward and with some practice can be done without looking

some people like loops at times, perfection loop, and surgeons are fairly simple and the nonslip mono loop works as well, but is a pain for me more often than not

[This message has been edited by l1ranger (edited 06 July 2006).]

I only use the Duncan Loop Knot for fly to tippet.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Let me go way over the top here. I feel you know your 'fishery' very well. Any chance that you could 'pre-tie' a few flies onto some tippets in advance? Many 'old guys' do it...

P.S. The Weaver's knot eats up tippet faster than most knots. You'll reduce this if you slide the knot up to form it, not start by pulling down on the fly. Form the knot by sliding up, lubricate, then pull the fly to tighten.

The tippet cost is nothing to me compared to the value of an easy knot to tie under any conditions.

Another tip, on really small flies, put some soft weight on them while you tie to give gravity some help. Remove the soft weight when the fly is secured.

[This message has been edited by oldfrat (edited 06 July 2006).]

If you're happy enough with the clinch (minus the extra "improved" step), I find it easy to do with forceps: Pinch the line and tag end between same thumb and finger, leaving a bit of tag end sticking up, and the fly loose down in the loop formed. Insert closed forceps into the loop. Twist the loop with the forceps, making sure the fly doesn't get up into the twists. Grab the tag end with the forceps (still in the loop) and pull through.

There is also a tool to do the equivalent, but I haven't tried it.

My eyes are getting worse by the year for close up stuff. I have gone from using a clip on hat magnifier to carrying a set of readind glasses. You might try a threader fly box . With a threader fly box you could get the the tippet through the eye of the fly and then learn to tie a simple but strong knot like a figure 8 loop knot or surgeon's loop knot which work fine with trout sized flies
    The Davy Knot is also a simple strong Knot

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 07 July 2006).]

I am 57 and have CSS (Can't See S***) for knots. I have several pairs of what I call Wal Mart Cheaters, those 'bout $12-15 reading glasses that are all on glass strap. I have these in all of my outdoor gear and wear them without fail! Cannot tie a thing without 'em, with 'em ya caint miss!

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

+ Reply to Thread