+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Older Pattern

Blog Entries

Default An Older Pattern

Tying some older patterns this morning. Anyone know a source for good quality badger hackle in size 16-14?

Used a substitute in this one.

As I recall from reading a book (wasn't there, so have to rely on books), Walt Dette and Townsend created the fly. Townsend is said to have named this pattern following a funeral one day. Guess the pure white body of the fly reminded him of the coffin.............

Actually, there is a true Coffin Fly which does come from underground coffins - gross...........

There is a step-by-step of this pattern by Mr Tom Six (I believe) in the Fly of the Week section.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.

For the badger hackle try Conranch hackle. An shop that deals with Whiting Farms should be able to get some Hebert-Miner badger necks for you. We recently got some in the shop and they were quite nice.

Nice looking fly.

The Dette's Coffin Fly was intended to imitate the spinner of the green drake, and would be more appropriately tied on a size 10 or 8 than a 14 or 16, but I can think of hatches that I'd fish your fly over down to a size 18.
    Bob

I always wondered how that fly got it's name. Just assumed it was a "killer pattern".

Dave

"Killer" is a denotation of a fly pattern that has the reputation of being successful anytime and anywhere you use it....there are so many "Killer Flies" and they are not restrictive to a single form of dressing....

Fly Of The Week
    Killer Nymph
    Steven H. McGarthwaite- June 20th 2011
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw...tw20110620.php

Just Old Flies
    Mrs Simpson
    Submitted by Alan Shepherd, Austrailia
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...es/part236.php

Our Man In Canada
    Hamill Killer
    Submitted by Sheldon Seale
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...ada/can272.php

Panfish
    Bream Killer
    By Doug Terry, Angleton TX
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...sh/part258.php
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-02-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

In New Zealand, one use of the term "Killer" is to refer to a style of fly where game bird feathers are tied on the sides, to form a sort of almond shape. The Hammil's Killer and Mrs. Simpson in the links above are two of the more popular "killers" here (both are New Zealand pattern). However, the term is also used for any pattern that is successful, as in "it's a killer".

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Speaking of killers...one of my all time absolute favorite names that anyone could have come up with for a fly is.... "The Killer Diller". Popularized by Don Martinez et.al. in the Yellowstone area in possibly the 1930's, 1940's. The fly has it's roots in the hairwing flies of the "Trude" style. I'm getting that the term killer diller was common among the guides and shop owners of that time and referred to what was the "latest and greatest" fly pattern to be on sale for "the dudes" at the shop (Have times changed?). You can find the recipe for the pattern in Bergman's book "Trout" or google it. In the past I've sent some of the flies to my East Coast brother, "a Dude". His comment: "They work back here".

To the OP ....if you don't have badger hackle try wrapping some natural or black ostrich either side of the wing before winding a lighter hackle collar through it. A little more work but the results are similar to the badger hackle.

PS: If anyone knows the true origin of the "Killer Diller" I'm interested in the history.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread