+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lightest Weight Wader/Boot Combo?

Default Lightest Weight Wader/Boot Combo?

I am looking for an ultra light weight wader and wading boot combo for backpacking.
    I like to fish far from the crowds, and typically am carrying a week's worth of gear. To date, I've not used waders on these trips, but I've decided that I can't fish streams and creeks anymore using just a pair of shorts and teva sandals.

So, I'm looking for a decent, lightweight boot/wader combination. I'm considering the Simms travel waders. I've got no idea as to what to use for boots.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Dear Kai,

Cabela's Ultralight boots are so light you hardly notice that you are wearing them.

With felt soles they are $ 49.00 and with studded felt soles they are $ 59.00 so they are light on your wallet as well.

LL Beans lightweight boots are also nice. They are available in Aqua-Stealth, with or without studs.

I own and wear both boots and I can't say that one is better than the other. I like them both because they are lightweight and well built and they don't cost an arm and a leg like some other boots.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

As a thought, you might consider hip waders to cut down on weight and bulk. You can get them in stocking foot or boot foot, depending on which is easier to pack and carry.

I've also found that they fit more snugly on my legs and so are easier to hike in than baggy waist or chest highs.

Blog Entries

Tevas make great wading boots. No need to pack in anything heavier, IMO. If you do want felt, though, there are wading sandals on the market that are light and compact. As for the cabelas lightweight boots, I had a pair and they died REAL fast, so I cannot recommend them.

Dennis

Dan Bailey makes a high quality pair of boot foot hip waders. I would guess that they would weigh less than a pair of stocking foots with separate boots. The idea of Tevas and stocking foot hippers is also interesting, but I am not sure if you would wear the neoprene badly with only the sandals for protection.

David

Like these? [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/about/korkers/:d7c49]http://flyanglersonline.com/about/korkers/[/url:d7c49]

Yup, any of the Korker Konvertable shoes along with a pair of the Redington [url=http://www.redington.com/Products/Product.aspx?pid=49:57d0d]Versi-Pants[/url:57d0d] make for a incredibly lightweight wading system.

Loads of advantages to the Korkers and the Versi-Pants can be used long or short and dry in minutes.

It's my standard set up since May; through September.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 10 July 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread