+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What brand name vise?

Hybrid View

Default What brand name vise?

I have two cheap fly tying vises that i bought when I bought 2 kits about 8 years ago. Jaws are showing signs of wear and my young bride has told me if I wanted to get a new vise to get it. My point is this: I dont want to spend over $150 (could give a little if i found one if thought would be worht the extra). I will be going to Bass Pro in Pearl, MS this saturday and all I see listed in catalog Apex adjustable, Peak Rotary, Griffin Spider Vice, and a Terry Rotary. Some several others but they look to be about the same price range as the two I have now. Hoping this will be last vise I buy. Would any of the above mentioned be good ones and if so, which one? Maybe you know a place I could call and get a better vice with the amount of money I have to spend. Thanx in advance for all you help. Mathcarver

Of those that you listed I would get the Peak. I would pass on the Terra. We had some in our shop and I was not impressed with the craftsmanship. The Griffin is a very good vise for the money but the adjustments are sort of funky. I feel the Peak is far superior and well worth the difference in cost. Someone once told me "buy the best you can afford and only cry once" or something like that. The Apex is very good too but over time I think the true inline rotary vises will prove more versatile. The jaws on the Griffin, Apex, and Peak will last the average tyer a lifetime.

I do not think you will get a better vise for the same money as you are looking at spending - just different options at similare price points.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 11-29-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Bob, I have a Terra, which with some homemade modifications can be a decent vise. It is good enough for most of what I do. But it is not in the same ball park with the Apex or Peak. The Vogel brothers build the Apex in Indiana, having seen the Apex for the same money as the Peak I would order one of their Atlas from their shop. They provide a clamp and pedestal mount for the prices. It seems they may need a little help with their website but their vises are first rate.

http://www.vogel-brothers.com/
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

rare to see another post from mississippi. i was in similiar situation several years ago and bought the griffin spider vise, which is light years ahead of the "kit" products that i had and i am well pleased with it, but rate my opinion inferior to those previous post who have experienced other models and know very well what they are speaking
    of from my experiences with their input in the past. i would also rather buy from just about anyone other than bass pro on line. shopping in the store is probably a totally different experience. good fishin to you.

A guy on the For Sale section below has a used Renzetti Traveler 2200 for sale for $150. They are high quality vises.

I have been tying on a Peak for a year and a half now and love it.....
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

mathcarver,

All my relatives on my Dad's side are from Mississippi and you have some great fly fishing there for warm water fishing especially for bluegill and shellcrackers!

Of the choices you listed, I have the Peak and can highly recommend it. I have no experience with the other vises you listed, so, I cannot compare them to the Peak. One thing you need to know is that there is no "hope this will be the last vise I buy"! : ) I have been tying for over 20 years and own a Regal, HMH, Peak, Renzetti and several other cheaper "knock-off" vises. Fly tying is an addiction and death is the only out! : )

No one here can tell you which vise is best for your situation but you. I only recommend the Peak because I do own one and tie on it everyday. It is well made and is rotary which you may find useful. The best thing for you to do is go to the Bass Pro Shop and sit down and play/tie on several vises in your money bracket and choose which one best "fits" you.

Just remember: "There is no such thing as the last vise I will ever buy". Please keep us posted on what you decide on. I, for one, would be interested in knowing which vise and why.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread