+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raffle suggestions

A water proof camera has proven popular with my chapter's annual raffle, as well as guided trips (especially if you can get a guide to donate part of his time.)
    Bob

OK, I'll confess. I've been a professional marketing guy for over 40 years. This response is based on that experience.

It appears that the objective of your raffle is to maximize the funds your raise, not to maximize booth attendance by current and potential fly fishers. If it was the latter, your raffle item should be fly fishing related. But the former indicates it should be an item or items that appeal to the widest number of people attending the event.

Narrowing it even further, you need to decide if it is better to appeal to a sub-segment who are willing to spend a lot (either in a high priced single ticket or in a lot of more moderately priced tickets) or to a larger group willing to take a flyer on a low priced ticket with a low odds of winning.

I don't know the right answer to these. But I have noted that the West Denver TU chapter, which is in an area with LOTS of fly fishers, has raffled off a single prize for many years at local shows. It is always a collection of high end fly fishing gear packed in a custom fitted hard case that makes it easy to carry and display at multiple shows. The value is in the thousands and I think tickets are around $2, but could be wrong about that.

If you want to learn of their experience with this approach, you can contact them at this link.
    http://www.westdenvertu.org/

Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    A quick check of CA law found the provision you mentioned... 90% must go to the good cause... However, it does not say "gross proceeds" but rather "revenue" and a quick check of the CA legal definition of revenue finds they use the standard definition of "return on investment." So all costs are subtracted and it is very much a "net" requirement.

Here are the gaming regs in a pdf format:
    http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd..._charities.pdf?

Page 26 has the 90% rule.

I looked because that is an extremely difficult standard to live up to and I know there are commercial fundraisers there and they would not work for 10%.

Also, the State is not intrested in occasional charitable raffles... They make it easier than most states.
    art
    Thanks for the clarification. "proceeds" was the term used the memo from our club. Our club and some others had to change the way they ran their raffles after inadvertently running afoul of the laws. Among the things that changed were how to facilities used for the annual big fundraiser were paid for and the elimination of some smaller events that were held during the year. The attorneys in the club sorted it out. Many other organizations have had to change their fundraising efforts over the last few years.

Anyway, the main point was to be certain the club is in tune with local law.

And back to the main question, if the primary audience is non flyfishers, then complete combo is better than just some flies, or videos, or other accessories. The complete outfit is ready to go whereas with other stuff the winner needs to acquire additional things to start flyfishing.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some good ideas there. We have a meeting next week. We will discuss some of your ideas.

Royce - our TU Chapter's raffle offered several good prizes and most were donated with credit to the donor on our website (www.roanoketu.org) and printed flyers and tickets. In the past we've also had a rifle or shotgun as a prize and that might appeal to non-fishers in your area too. T.U. Chapter #308 Roanoke, VA
    A listing of our raffle items and details are on the website page. When you get to the home page just click on the banner that runs along the top of the page.
    Last edited by Grn Mt Man; 12-06-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added info

+ Reply to Thread