+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of camera(s) do you all use?

Hybrid View

Default What kind of camera(s) do you all use?

Many of you all are posting great quality photos of the flies you tie.

I would love to post my own photos, to get a critique on my work and pointers on how to improve my tying. The only camera I have that actually works right now is my Kodak Playsport. It's more for video than stills. Focal length is about 4 1/2', so any fly "in focus" is to small to see. I do have a Nikon D40, but the lens is broken and needs to be replaced. For the kind of money I would have to flip out to replace that, I can BUY another camera that would work.

So, any pointers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
    Many of you all are posting great quality photos of the flies you tie.

I would love to post my own photos, to get a critique on my work and pointers on how to improve my tying. The only camera I have that actually works right now is my Kodak Playsport. It's more for video than stills. Focal length is about 4 1/2', so any fly "in focus" is to small to see. I do have a Nikon D40, but the lens is broken and needs to be replaced. For the kind of money I would have to flip out to replace that, I can BUY another camera that would work.

So, any pointers?
    I run Canon gear and have a number of bodies and a ridiculous number of really good lenses... And I truly mean ridiculous...

And my waterproof, shockpoof, Olympus Stylus 850SW point and shoot has repeatedly taken marketable photos that rival my best Canon gear... The Olympus is old enough it is available at steeply discounted prices. It will do everything you need and more.

pentax w30 waterproof.

Blog Entries

Hap,
    That is interesting. How does it do on macro - as far as depth-of-field is concerned?
    Thanks

I use a Pentax W80. It has a wide angle lens, and does a great job at shooting macro for fly shots.

Check out http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LbrdseJGHk...al+Version.JPG

for a nice picture
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Canon Powershot SD750 (circa 2007).

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Hap,
    That is interesting. How does it do on macro - as far as depth-of-field is concerned?
    Thanks
    Byron
    It does very well on macro. I sell more than a few images every year and am tough on camera gear... These are bombproof (though I find them easy to lose...)
    art

Check with CameraLand NY and ask for Joel. His brother Doug comes to Kodiak fishing every year with me. 2013 will be the "8th Annual Once in a Lifetime Alaska Fishing Trip" for us. Tell them I told you to call and they might not throw you out!

Another vote for the Olympus 850 SW. I've been using one for about four and a half years now. Every pic I've posted here on the BB or in my FOTW articles on the Home Page and in the FOTW archives was taken with the 850 SW.

John
    The fish are always right.

Having seen so many of John's great pictures...it'd be tough not to want to buy that camera!

I use a Pentax Optio W90 for my fishing pictures ( it has a good macro capabilities), and use a Nikon CoolPix S640 for most of my fly pics.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
    I would love to post my own photos, to get a critique on my work and pointers on how to improve my tying. The only camera I have that actually works right now is my Kodak Playsport. It's more for video than stills. Focal length is about 4 1/2', so any fly "in focus" is to small to see.
    So, any pointers?
    Allen,

For posting fly images, i.e. web use, different criteria apply from the more conventional snapping family scenes, landscapes, fish, etc.

The key deliverable is: excellent DoF (Depth of Field) as many flies are 'deep' objects, with the wound hackle and flaring wings

This is what I would look for in a camera for the purpose described:
    - good glass
    - small sensor, coupled with short focal length
    - ability to save images in uncompressed form (tiff, or raw)
    - manual white balance
    - full manual - to set own shutter and aperture combination
    - high F-number ability (minimum f8, but preferred >f8.x) in the camera's macro range
    - user defined focus area
    - closeup ability - think full frame on a #12 dry fly, or better

Of no real importance:
    - high mega pixel (for the indicated use 3mp more than adequate)
    - optical viewfinder
    - water proof

Like Hap, and AlanB, I have a string of cameras, and high end lenses, but to this day I have not found a better tool for photographing fishing flies (and I do shoot many more of those than most for Flytier's Page) than the very dated, very humble Nikon CoolPix 995. It ticks all the relevant boxes.

This camera is long out of production, but is readily available on the used camera market (eBay, Craig's List, Kajiji, etc) for very little money. For those who would like to check it out, I recommend getting the optional AC adapter.

Not saying that there are not many other capable cameras for the job on the market - and a dozen or so I have pitted against the CP 995 in my own quest for the better mouse trap. I just have not found one I consider an upgrade, nor even a match.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 11-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

+ Reply to Thread