+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Fly sizes for whiting and pompano

Hybrid View

Default What Fly sizes for whiting and pompano

I'm going to have some time on the beach on OBX this summer and am wondering what size hooks you saltwater guys use in the surf for pompano and whiting. I'm planning on tying Clousers, etc. I've fished the bayside of the OBX for seatrout, reds and flounder. I'll have my family, grandchildren, etc. so I will be around the surfside alot. Thanks

I've never caught a whiting on a fly. Thought they were strictly sand flea eaters.
    For pomps, I catch them as a bonus when I'm trout fishing, usually on Clousers in 2's or 4's. Let the fly get deep.

Of whiting, I was told "you can catch them on small clousers, crazy charlies and small crab patterns. As long as it is a weighted fly and can get to the bottom. Might not catch as many as you would on bait but it works and usually weeds out some of the dinks."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use a short tailed schminnow or similar for both whiting and pompano. Crazy Charlies will work also. White would be the best color, although I have used pink for pompano. Usually on #2 or #4 hooks. If you are going for whiting you can use chain eyes, but for pompano you should use a heavier eye so that it will bounce on the bottom.

Last edited by dunfly; 11-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

After a bit of research and enquiries on this very website, it appears that your whiting is similar to our sand whiting here in Australia. We can catch these fish on the above mentioned flies, but you can also catch them on a surface popper. Over here in OZ, they are sometimes referred to as 'The Poor Man's Bonefish'. A fun and exciting fish to catch on light gear. Our whiting here require the fly to be stripped in short sharp rapid movement, with a very small pause. Generally speaking a #4-#5 weight rod and floating line with a long leader approximately 12-16 foot. The whiting graze on the sand flats in depths that barely cover their backs. Of course they can be found in deeper water searching for worm, prawns(shrimp) and other fishy morsels. The popper that is sometimes mentioned in Australia is called ' Morsies Popper'
    Last edited by bassboy; 01-09-2013 at 03:42 PM.

My only pompano catches have come on light colored Kwan flies, with an orange egg sac, tied on an Eagle Claw 413 jig hook, size 4. Never caught a whiting.

+ Reply to Thread