I'm sorry Tyeflies but it's not a "crock!"

This flood in the Delaware Valley below the Cannonsville and Pepacton Dams is a direct result of keeping their water levels at 100%. Make no mistake about it: If this policy continues there will be more floods there; maybe even this year again. I have been visiting this region since 1968 and this was the worst flooding I have seen on the Delaware. In past years the water levels of the reservoirs would have been lowered by 25% to 30% by June and July. Then if a big storm hit there would be storage capacity for excess water. During those times, any flooding the Delaware experienced would be caused by the waters from the undammed Beaverkill and tributary's that entered the river below the dams. Since 9/11 the water coming over the dams has been added to that contributed by the Beaverkill et al. As I said, "Do the Math."

The people who live in the valley below the dams suffered just as much as those who sustained damage from flooding streams above them. The difference is that there are structures in place to protect them from it.

What good are dams if part of their purpose is not to keep ones homes and livelihoods safe from flooding? They are designed for multiple uses. To limit them for use only as drinking water for municipalites in other watersheds is unwise and politically imprudent. The taxpayers of the entire United States will be handed the bill from
FEMA to pay for the costs to restore the damage caused here.

Floods will occur. On some rivers, like the Susquehanna, there isn't much you can do about them. On others, like the Delaware, there are safeguards in place to abate them and it's damn (pun intended) foolish not to use them!

Bob