+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for new nymph rod

Default looking for new nymph rod

I am in the market for a new nymph rod for czech style nymphing.Looking for any input as to length and weight suggestions.Would also like to stay under the $400 mark if possible.Thanks for response in advance.

I would suggest the Grey's Streamflex rods. My son has the 10ft 3wt and we use a 4wt nymph line on it. They are very nice rods in any length

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

I've been in the same market for the last few months.

It's difficult to find a long nymph rod with reasonable weight and balance. Many of the long rods are pretty heavy and especially tip heavy. It's hard to get a decent balance with a trout sized fly reel. Some are designed or have means to add weight to the butt for better balance, but that also adds more overall weight. They are also tiring to cast over a long day. Some of the Czech style rods are also quite slow actioned which wasn't appealing to me.

The one I've got my eye on is the TFO BVK 10' 4wt. Based on the specs that I've read, it's about the lightest 10' 4 wt rod around, it's advertised as fast action, and it lists for about $250. I'd like to test cast one, but haven't been able to find one nearby so I may just order one if I can find a good holiday deal.

The other one that I've heard mentioned is the Sage One 10' 4wt. I'm sure that an outstanding rod, but at about $800 it's a little rich for my blood.

Look at Hook and Hackle's Xi series - I use the 10' 4 weight, which I built from one of their kits. They sell the Xi's as finished rods too if you're not into building.

Cliff

If I had $400 to spend on a new rod I would talk with Kevin Proctor and see what he could personalize for me for that amount. I'm betting you would be happier with the result than anything you will find sitting in a rack somewhere. http://www.coloradocustomflyrods.com/
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Allen's Fly Fishing has the Xa 10' 4 wt for $239. and Justin and Even offer a try before you buy deal.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

The Hardy Marksman II may fit into your budget. The Greys and Hardy are very light in hand

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Thanks for all input i think i have made my mind up.Will update later

Orvis "Access" rod series is made in USA and comes in at $375.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread