+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Francis Betters - Don't mean to Defame Him!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Francis Betters - Don't mean to Defame Him!

Fran Betters is one of my heroes in fly tying. He came up with a much nicer version of this because he noticed the color of the mayflies in his river had a different tint of color which he suspected was due to some iron in the river.

Anyway, felt like tying one. Unfortunately, didn't even have orange thread which is sorta important.

AlanB Guest

Byron,
    Rather than defame him you have honoured him! As an originator of a few patterns that are well known I'd be very happy with two really important things you have done. They are: You have said where your inspiration has come from, and you have stated the differences between your fly and his original. I don't think anyone can ask for more.

To ask for more is, I believe, against the spirit of fly fishing and fly tying. Even though I am involved in the sport commercially, I always remember that I have been given more than I can give.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Allan,
    Which patterns might I search for to see your flies?
    Thanks, and thanks for the thoughtful post

AlanB Guest

Little Black Bug, ByColour Nymph, are possibly the best known. You could also try "Step Over Wing Mayfly for my winging technique from a few years ago. Recently I've been working on traditional style wet flies for the Lochs. Most successful have been the Rough Flies. Combining a stiff dry fly hackle on the body with a soft hackle at the head. This is one colour variation.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Very nice!

Blog Entries

Alan, over the last couple of years I've become quite fond of the Invicta and Bumble styles of tying flies. They do work. They work over here in streams. I don't do much pond or lake fishing.

Ed

I can personally vouch for the Step Over Wing Mayfly. Found it a little hard to tie smaller than a size 16, but that's probably my own ineptitude. I'm proud to say that I have the original article in the original English - or whatever language they use at Farlow's in London (the magazine was the only thing I could afford....yeeesh!).

+ Reply to Thread