Thread: Wading Staff

Threaded View

I'll add my opinon on staffs and lengths.

A dear friend made me a custom wading staff out of a closet rod. He put a plastic tip on the botton with a metal carriage bolt run up the center to keep it from splitting from use. I've never slipped on a rock when applying LOTS of pressure on it - and I'm glad it's there.

The handle is wrapped paracord which I attach to myself when wading and it floats next to me when not needed or I fling it over my shoulder and it's just there waiting for me to need it.

The trick to wrapping a paracord handle is to (1) remove the inner core and (2) SOAK the paracord in water before wrapping the handle. Then as the Paracord dries, it shrinks just a little bit to firmly adhere itself.

As to length - I like my wading staff a little long - so I have paracord wrapped from about 4" from the top down about 18 inches - so I have lots of room to grab hold regardless of the terrain.

Think about it - the creek or trail is seldom level - and lots of times I've put my wading staff into an area much lower than my feet and then used it to help balance myself in/out of uneven terrain. Having the little bit of extra length has been very handy.

If you have a friend with a wood lathe - have them turn a "knob" that you can glue over the end of the staff so you can put your weight on your hand and lean on the end of the wading staff - made a huge difference for me.

Also - my friend added "measuring lines" along the wading staff for me using rod wraping techniques. I have lines at 6", 8", 10", etc so I can quickly measure a fish since my wading staff is usally floating next to me and do a quick release.
    Last edited by SonOfMartin; 12-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.