+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tioga 4 or 6?

Wow. Thanks for all of the comments.

I'm leaning toward the 4.

The Teton 5 is interesting, but I am having trouble with the thought of paying about $50 for 0.5 of an ounce. The Teton 5 specs are almost identical to the Tioga 4. It seems that there are just more weight-saving holes in the Teton. Is there something I'm missing on that?

Thanks for all the thoughts!

Tyler

Blog Entries

tyler,
    The Tiogas that I have are not as smooth as the Tetons. There is more difference in them than just a few holes. That being said, the Tioga is still a good reel, just not as good as the Teton. Oops! Forgot about the angry face again.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers

[This message has been edited by biot midge (edited 08 July 2006).]
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

3. Default

tyler,

i've got a tioga 4,6 and 8 two spools each.

that covers my 3,4,5,6,7 and 8wts rods.

I prefer the #4 tioga on my 4 and 5 wt signature V rods. The 5 wt w/4tioga is light in the hand and splendid with bass or summer steelhead.

here is a post illuminating the construction of the sigV blanks...
    [url=http://www.theworriedshrimp.com/2006/02/keeping-it-light.html:30b53]http://www.theworriedshrimp.com/2006/02/keeping-it-light.html[/url:30b53]

tws

I own 2 Tiogas both a 4 and a 6. The 6 is a large arbor. I use them both. Great reels. But I particularly like the 6 LA. It balances well with my 8.5 ft 5 wt that I use the most and I just like the LA design. You can't go wrong with either. I think they are just the best reel going for the price. I have a Ross cimmarron that was my favorite for a while but the Tioga in my opinion is just a better, smoother reel. and it was cheaper to boot.

Thanks again for all the advice!

I went with the 4RA, finally being won over by lower overall weight, and the thought that my next rod with be ligther instead of heavier.

I suppose if I find it doesn't balance well, I can recover most of my expenses on eBay. This being my first rod though, I bet'll I be ignorant of good balance and happy as a clam with it no matter what.

Tyler

+ Reply to Thread