+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tioga 4 or 6?

Default Tioga 4 or 6?

Hello folks. I am new to the forum as a poster. I have been lurking for the last few weeks and it has been quite the resource for me! Thanks to all.

I have a question regarding what reel you guys might recommend. I have been researching reels for my first fly rod which I am building from a Dan Craft Sig 5 blank. It is a 905-4 (and has been a delightful project). I have landed on the Teton Tioga line as a lot of bang for the buck. My question is this:

Would you guys go with the size 4 or 6 Tioga reel for this 9' 5 wt. rod?

I will mostly be chasing bass and pan fish here in Texas. This reel is probably mostly an eye candy purchase, as I will in all likelihood strip most of the fish in, but I still want it! (And there ARE big bass that would occassionally go to the reel. I had a buddy lose a big bass last trip because of a drag problem on his reel.) Would a size 4 look too small on the 9' rod? Or would the size 6 just be unneccessary weight? I'm sort of thinking that my next rod will be a lighter weight rod. That also has me wondering about the size 4, thinking I could buy spare spools and use the same reel on the 3 wt. I think I might build next. I don't want that to be my deciding factor though. I am buying this reel for my 5 wt, and I want to get the best one for that rod. I don't want to under or oversize this reel for what MIGHT happen later.

Unfortunately there are no fly shops within 100 miles of me so it is not a matter of just going and looking.

Thanks!

Tyler

It would unusual for even a huge bass to run over a 100 ft before he had you and your 4wt all tangled up. I would go with the 4wt reel

Oh and by the way welcome !

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 08 July 2006).]

Blog Entries

tyler,
    I have 2 of the Tetons and 2 of the Tiogas. The Teton is much lighter than the Tioga. Sorry about the icon, I forgot to change it.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers

[This message has been edited by biot midge (edited 08 July 2006).]
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

tyler - The Tioga 4 will work fine for a 5wt, especially if you use a WF5 line. Here is the info from my Tioga owners manual:

Tioga 4, 4.6 oz, WF4F, 2.95" dia, 100yd 20# backing

Tioga 6, 5 oz, WF6F, 3.2" dia, 150yd 20# backing

You should get around 75 yds of backing on the Tioga 4 with a WF-5-F line on it, and it will look fine. I've used both sizes on a 5wt and prefer the Tioga 4. Or you could go with the Tioga 6LA (about the same amount of backing as the Tioga 4, more weight) - depends on what balances on your rod better - 4.6 oz versus 5.5 oz(LA6). The Tioga 4 will give you the option of using it on your 3wt with something like 125 yds of backing. Hope I've helped you rather than confused you!.........Ed

I use a Teton 5 for my 9' 5wt (using a 5wt double taper line) and am well pleased with the performance and the balance of the rod & reel combo.

Dale

I have a Tioga 4 on my 4wt Scott. Before I picked up a reel for my 6 wt bamboo, I used the Tioga 4 & it wasn't bad. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tioga 4. They are truly great reels...and a tremendous "buy"!
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have the Tioga 6 on my St. Croix Imperial 5wt. Balance is good and there are no problems casting ( except for my limited skill! ). The #6 is only slightly larger and heavier than the #4. It might be better to go with the #6 in case you want to go up a weight or two in the future. All you'd need is an extra spool.

Regards

P.S. Good choice on the Tioga!

I use the 4 Tioga with my St. Croix Legend ULtra 904-5. Nice.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

I use a 6LA on both my 9' 4wt and 7'6" 5wt. Glass rod.
    No matter which reel you buy the Teton reels are a great way to go. I now own 4!.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Tyler;
    Don't let all the red faces discourage you. We're really a nice bunch here, as long as you wipe you feet before entering. A recent change has forced us old dogs to learn new trick's.
    I'm with flymaker2 on the issue of rod balance. A top heavy rod can be very tiring.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

+ Reply to Thread