+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When tying a new pattern, which do you prefer?

I like step by step also. I don't have my computer at my tying desk but if I did I would not like pausing and reatarting the video. Some flie patterns that I can only find on a video I make my own instructions so I can have it by my side when tying.
    Oldster

I like being at a tying meeting to see what folks are doing. Many times I need an example a fly to get proportions.
    Second I like step by step better. If there is a step that I have trouble with or I don't know it gets printed off.

Rick

I will say this about videos....It is ANNOYING when two minutes into the video the tyer still hasn't put thread to hook. Then half way through the video the guy stops and rambles about something that has nothing to do with the pattern for another two minutes. Those videos I can do without.

YouTube has lots of Videos on flytying. Usually you can find videos for specific patterns, and variations there of.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    It is ANNOYING when two minutes into the video the tyer still hasn't put thread to hook. Then half way through the video the guy stops and rambles about something that has nothing to do with the pattern for another two minutes. Those videos I can do without.
    When I see stuff like pheasant tail nymphs taking anything over 5 minutes, I don't even bother. I learned more from watching Charlie Craven tying his Pheasant Tail in 1 minute 30 seconds than any others I've seen.

Regards,
    Scott

If I'm just looking for general info/technique/entertainment I will look at videos. If I want specific details and info I like SBS and books that I can refer to without all the other distractions inherent in videos.
    wcglass

Charlie's Fly Box (lefties make it harder *grin*).
    Actually, Charlie is right handed and ties under the therory that the material hand should be the dominent hand. Haven't seen the second book, but the first book photos were flipped by the publisher to have the traditional right hand look.

Count me in the SBS camp.

Why either or? Books/magazines, on line step by step stills and video clips all have their pros and cons. Use as applicable (and available).

To explain certain, often subtle, technique nuances in written word can be mighty tough, and often very long winded - while demonstrating it in a video, with some well chosen narrative, can get the essence across in mere seconds.

My two (Euro) cents

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 11-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Blog Entries

I vote for videos - done well, of course. You see (in most cases) material handling techniques, material preparation methods, material cutting techniques, etc., etc.
    A lot of these important actions are left out of step-by-steps in books, articles, etc. as the number of photos would be beyond space allowed.

The only problem is that many really good tiers don't have the ability to make videos or are too humble to do so.
    My two pennies worth.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-24-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Tough to beat Davy Mcphail and Hans Stephenson. Both have been doing it for years and are very good at it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansrcsd

Coloradoskieoutfitters does a decent job if you can get by their nonflytying Cra.....stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/user/COSkiesOutfitters

Both Step by Step and Video. Video has become a fantastic addition to tying instruction. I use it all of the time, and just started filming my own tutorial video. It is the nex best thing to sitting beside the tyer.

+ Reply to Thread