+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did the Great Tiers get into the Business?

Blog Entries

Steven,
    I think you mention the most important factor in becoming a "famous" tier. Of course it presumes that the tier is an excellent tier and also that the tier can improvise new and different patterns. But, I have seen a lot of tiers on this forum who could probably be a "famous" tier if there were media attention of them.

Perhaps the best example is Jack Dennis of Jackson Hole, WY (actually Jackson, Wy). He was a fly tier and local guide as a young fellow. Then, "The American Sportsman" happened along and needed a local guide to take the star on a fishing trip on the Snake River. Somehow, Jack Dennis was assigned the task. He got along famously with Curt Gowdy. It put Dennis on the path to being famous. Then, he wrote a book on tying western flies and the rest is history.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-23-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    You are a lucky man. The water is the best thing for nearly ALL things - even pondering a silly question
    Dang. I was going to ponder this silly question today while on the water, but I was a bit busy and forgot all about it ...

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Anything hatching there?

Icicles and snowflakes.
    The fish are always right.

Some of the really great tyers that took me under their wing as a kid and all through my life made the big difference between hobby, and a passioned business. Passion, practice, many hours on the water, study of Entomology, and believing in the ability that God gave you. There are so many great tyers out there that don't have a business or Fly Shop. Back when I was studying Music in Undergrad and Grad School, I had Professors who were Fly Fishermen that told me that my Flies were great, and that I should sell them. I developed from hobby to a side business. Now, like music, I have taken the passion, and turned it into a full business. Even the great legends know that there is always something more to learn, are humble, and always willing to pass their knowledge to others. This is true in all areas of life. Thank the Teachers !!!!!

Blog Entries

Very well put!!

You guys can mull it over until next year but i will continue to add 150 miles to my trip this Summer and stop at the Trout Hunter for my supply of no hackle and other fabulous flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    As stated, my personal definition, in this question, is a "famous" one. It would mean being well-know beyond local and even beyond regional.
    The tiers mentioned frequently in articles, books, etc which have a national exposure.
    I think James has the formula for success.

To become well known. It's comes down to who knows who you are and who have you pleased or displeased; If they are one in the same person and that person is in the position to help or hurt and does you could be on the way to fame.

I forget we're I read this or words to the effect 'when the legion becomes bigger than the truth print the legion'. I bring
    this up for the purpose to state that perhaps someone's flies are legionary but not necessarily a great tie or design.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

+ Reply to Thread