+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stone fly pattern at tying symposium

Hybrid View

Default stone fly pattern at tying symposium

did anyone else attend the international fly tying symposium last weekend in summerset new jersey?
    there was a Tyer there, along the back row who had nothing but incredible stone fly patterns and i cant remember his name.... his exact words were, "i will put my stonefly pattern up against anyone, and win ever time. i tie these for the fish, not for you, that's why people pay me 500 for a set." although i found that statement a little egotistical, they were exceptional looking patterns.

i know this description is extremely vague, but does anyone know who i an talking about? i would like to check out his work a bit further.
    im sure if i heard his name bells and whistles will go off and ill remember.

thanks,
    spoof

ps, what did u guys think of the symposium? assuming u went.
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

spoof,

I wasn't able to attend but here's the advertised list of the tyers from the show.
    You wrote that, "im sure if i heard his name bells and whistles will go off and ill remember."

http://www.internationalflytyingsymp...sandtiers.html

Given the build-up you described, I'd be interested in learning the identity of that tyer. Also, how many flies were there in his 'set'?

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 11-20-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Looking at the list of tyers, and hearing that quote, I'd guess it was Randy Buchanan. Was this the stonefly?

http://archives.flyfisherman.com/con...ys-stone-nymph

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 11-20-2012 at 06:40 AM.

I would probably second Randy

Actually, I've had second thoughts about the information in the first post. You say he said,
    "I will put my stonefly pattern up against anyone, and win ever time. i tie these for the fish, not for you, that's why people pay me 500 for a set."
    That may be the most egocentric thing I 've heard a fly tyer/fly fisher say in a very very long time.
    That may be the most egotistical thing I've heard a fly tyer/fly fisher say in a very very long time. He ties his flies for fish which means to be used, and therefore abused. Yet he is paid $500 per set? Just a coup[le of questions: Are there 500 in a set? How many sets has this guy sold at that price? I won't post my 3rd question because, well because anything is possible but I'd like to know the name of who may have paid $500 for a set(?). There's a bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn, NY I hear is for sale.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Actually, I've had second thoughts about the information in the first post. You say he said,
    "I will put my stonefly pattern up against anyone, and win ever time. i tie these for the fish, not for you, that's why people pay me 500 for a set."
    That may be the most egocentric thing I 've heard a fly tyer/fly fisher say in a very very long time.
    That may be the most egotistical thing I've heard a fly tyer/fly fisher say in a very very long time. He ties his flies for fish which means to be used, and therefore abused. Yet he is paid $500 per set? Just a coup[le of questions: Are there 500 in a set? How many sets has this guy sold at that price? I won't post my 3rd question because, well because anything is possible but I'd like to know the name of who may have paid $500 for a set(?). There's a bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn, NY I hear is for sale.

Allan
    Allan,

I've caught his act before; surprised there was enough room in the auditorium for all those tiers and his ego.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread