We have Sauger here in OK. I've caught a couple by "accident" in the past few years. This past winter was really mild here in Okieland, so I was fishing all winter long, targeting Saugers. I caught probably 20 or so. Minimum size state-wide is 18", but there's an exception for the river I was fishing; minimum size is 16". Most of the fish I caught were 15 1/2", go figure!

I would use a weighted clip-on float, with either a minnow on a hook, or a double-jig rig with a white twister tail grub and a chartreuse twister tail grub. Usually, the fish went for the chartreuse. I figured out that it was best to drop the rig into the current, and let the current pull the bait out almost to a rock bar, engage my reel, drag the rig just to the calm side of the current seam, then SLOWLY retrieve the rig until it was beneath me, drag it back into the current, open the bail; repeat as needed.

When they hit, they HIT! Totally slammed my rig. I didn't really need to use the float as a bite indicator; I would feel that jarring jolt each time.

You're right. They are tasty!