Just ran across my old compass. I thought they were called proportional spacers, but I guess not.
It is a drafting tool. Has no pencil, just two metal sharp pointed ends.
Anyway, when I taught fly tying, I suggested the new tiers might get one to check the proportions of their flies. It is great for setting to the size of the shank, for example, and then checking wing length, tail length, etc.