+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DUCK'S BWO - FOTW - Nov 19, 2012

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default DUCK'S BWO - FOTW - Nov 19, 2012

DUCK'S BWO
    This fly is a scaled down version of Duck's Green Drake (For background information on how the fly was named please see the June 18, 2012 Fly of the Week.) It was recently tied to fish the tiny fall Baetis hatch on my home water in Northern Idaho. It isn't quite as small as the naturals, but it has been very productive fishing to both trout regularly rising to naturals and those lurking until a natural comes along.

Looks like a nice, easy tie John. Why do you mix stretch magic with the antron, durability?

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Looks like a nice, easy tie John. Why do you mix stretch magic with the antron, durability?
    The furled antron by itself is too limp for the extended body on a fly this small. The StretchMagic gives it a bit more "body" without increasing the bulk.

Using permanent marker on the StretchMagic, by the way, is optional. I've tied the fly both with and without enhancing the color with a marker, and haven't noticed any difference in how the fishies respond to the pattern.

This is a very durable pattern. Although I haven't had occasion to fish a single fly in the BWO version to "ruin", I have caught over twenty fish on a single fly in the Mahogany Spinner version and put it back in the box for the next outing.

John
    The fish are always right.

Another excellent pattern John. One that I will need to get wet myself.

Ralph

Fished it on my home water today, Ralph.

Had close to a dozen fish on it, on an otherwise slow day.

One of the larger fish that ate it, when I got it quite close and about ready to land, seemed to have a "growth" on it's right cheek. When I got the fishy closer, I recognized the "growth" as one of my October Caddis flies. I had broken off a big cutt last week and was sure this was the one and that I was going to get my OC back. Alas, I got so excited about that possibility that I fumbled the fishy on the landing and it went bye-bye, with both my flies !!

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread