+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Rods

Hi okflyfisher!
    I still fish my Fenwick FF80-4, 8 foot, 4 piece, 6 wt. It's a great casting rod, and I've had it since the early 70s.
    Bob

For me it would be a Phillipson 8'6" Royal Wand 7wt. and a Phillipson Master 6ft 6wt. The Master came with four tips. I am still using just the one. Both are early 70's era.

I have fished primarily graphite for years and prefer faster rods at least for the fishing I do in OK . I recently sold an 8'orvis fulflex glass rod that had'nt used in years . As I was rumaging through closets I found a fenwick ff756-4 that was given to me as a gift in the mid 70's. I used this rod a lot when I lived in denver. I decided I might as well sell it because i had not used it for a long time. I caught a lot of really nice trout on this rod while in Denver so on a lark I put a line on it and made a few casts . I had forgotten how easy it was to roll out curve casts and to feel the cast working all the way down into the rod butt. I can see why is is a renewed interest in glass. Oh Yeah and while this probably is'nt one of the best glass rods out there I have decided to keep it.

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 05 July 2006).]

I fish glass rods alot, especially for warmwater fishing. Some of my favorites are an Orvis Fullflex A 8'-7wt, a Lamiglas 7 1/2' 4-weight, and a Shakespeare Wonderod model 848 7'9" (6 weight). I rarely fish graphite anymore. Most of my fly fishing is with glass and bamboo. I just like the way these materials feel, both in casting and in playing fish.

I don't use it very often, but I have a Lamiglass 7-ft, 3-wt, built by a buddy of mine. It's perfect for little fish and little flies, but I think it lacks the backbone to drive home big hooks with lots of line out IMHO.

Speaking of the Hardy JET...
    item 190005218620 on EBay

I LOVE glass because I really love slow action rods.

I have a couple of old Wonder Rods. One is a 7'9" 6wt in great condition with the spring lock reel seat, high quality metal ferrules, and the original cardboard tube & sock. I also have a 7'6" 6wt Wonder Rod and a 7'6" Fenwick in an aluminum tube that I use on occasion.

But my favorite is a Winston Retro 6'0" 3wt that is sweeeeet; what an awesome small stream rod! The Retros had spigot ferrules and were slow and super smooth.

I was unsuccessful in my search for a 7'0" 4wt Retro so I am ordering a McFarland Spruce Creek next week!!!

Hello,

I have several Browning Silaflex glass fly rods (and spinning rods). Date back to the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Very affordable substitutes for slow bamboo rods.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

PS Strange about the frowning red face?

[This message has been edited by Richard Komar (edited 06 July 2006).]

two of my rods are fiberglass. One is a 3 wt McFarland Spruce. I am delighted with this rod. It is an accurate caster and beautiful as well. I also use (sometimes) a Western Auto 7wt that I bought for 12 bucks at a thrift store. It casts like a dream and I expect it is at least 40 years old. I am glad that fiberglass has not faded from use permanently. THere is no reason for it to do so.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

This post reminded me of a rod that I have completely forgotten I owned - a Winston 7 1/2', 2 3/8 oz., 5 wt. My casting style has changed over the years and I now prefer a different kind of action. I'll have to take that old friend
    out on the lawn and give it a spin. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread